Curry yogurt chicken marinade has just 5 ingredients and can be prepared in under 5 minutes! Perfect for jazzing up your chicken routine and is delicious served with roasted potatoes, naan bread, or over cauliflower rice.
Plus, we almost always have the ingredients on hand: yogurt, curry powder, lime juice, salt and brown sugar.
Now this is not a spicy curry marinade, rather a tangy chicken marinade with a punch of curry flavor. If you are wanting to kick it up a notch, I suggest adding some red pepper flakes (1/4-1/2 teaspoon) or cayenne pepper (1/8-1/4 teaspoon).
NEW: looking for Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes? Check this post out!
I absolutely love the tangy flavor that the yogurt gives to the chicken. It is so juicy, and so flavorful! There is something about the acidity of the yogurt that helps the curry flavor absorb into the chicken.
We have enjoyed this as a freezer chicken marinade as well, however you should be warned that the yogurt breaks after being frozen then thawed. It doesn’t alter the flavor at all, in fact this curry yogurt chicken marinade is even more flavorful after being frozen! However it won’t look quite as beautiful.
We love this yogurt curry chicken served with roasted potatoes and a tangy slaw, or wrapped up in naan bread with fresh veggies. I bet it would also make a great lunch bowl served with some cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
There are so many great options of how to serve this!
Tips for amazing curry yogurt chicken marinade:
- I used a plain full-fat yogurt; Greek should work well, but fat-free has not been tested
- Add some cayenne or red pepper flakes to bring some heat to the chicken
- Looking for more chicken marinade recipes? Check out this post with 7 Chicken Marinade Recipes You Can Freeze or the sequel: 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Breast Marinades.
Curry yogurt chicken marinade
- This is enough marinade + sauce for 1 chicken breast; double the recipe for a pound of chicken to serve 4!
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy duty freezer bag (long term/freezer storage) or a bowl (short term/fridge storage). Add chicken breasts and turn to coat in marinade.
- Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
- If freezing, place in the freezer immediately. Thaw in the fridge overnight, or by immersing the bag in a bowl of cold water for a couple of hours.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Bake chicken in a shallow baking dish for 10 minutes, flip over, then bake for another 10-20 minutes.
- For 5-7 oz chicken breasts, bake for 20 minutes total. For 10 oz and larger chicken breasts, bake for at least 25 minutes.
- Allow chicken to rest at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing.