Twice baked sweet potato casserole is a delicious, single-serve side dish for your holiday table! You can prep them ahead and reheat before serving. Gluten-free, paleo and vegan options!
Sweet potato casserole is a holiday staple on so many tables and today it’s getting a fun little remix!
Rather than traditional sweet potato casserole, which is served in a casserole dish, today we’re going for single serve portions by serving them right in the sweet potato skins!
So technically these are twice baked sweet potatoes, but I went with the flavors you typically find in a sweet potato casserole: cinnamon, a bit of sweetener, and a crumbly pecan topping. You can even add marshmallows if you’d like!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
We love this twice baked sweet potato casserole because
- it’s easy to scale up or down depending on how many you’re serving
- they store in the fridge for several days and can reheat in 20 minutes
- you can make swaps to make these gluten-free, paleo and vegan!
How to make this sweet potato casserole recipe
This sweet potato casserole/twice baked sweet potatoes recipe is so easy to make!
- Bake your sweet potatoes. I based my recipe off this tutorial on How To Bake Sweet Potatoes. Pro Tip– save lots of time by cooking Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes!
- Scoop out the filling. Leave a bit of sweet potato flesh on the skin so they don’t completely collapse.
- Mash filling with spices, syrup, and yogurt, then carefully scoop back into the skins.
- Mix up the pecan streusel topping, and scatter over the potatoes.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until filling is warmed through and topping is golden. Careful not to burn the pecans!
How can I make this twice baked sweet potatoes recipe gluten-free? Vegan? Paleo? Gluten-free: swap the all purpose flour for almond flour.
Vegan- swap the yogurt for coconut yogurt and the butter for vegan butter.
Paleo- swap the yogurt for coconut yogurt, the butter for coconut oil and the brown sugar for coconut sugar.
Can I make this twice baked sweet potatoes recipe ahead? Yes! I would bake all the way through (including adding the streusel), and cool completely. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat at 350°F on a baking sheet for 10-20 minutes until heated through. *if you are adding marshmallows to this sweet potato casserole recipe, add them in the last 5 minutes of baking.
Can I freeze this twice baked sweet potatoes recipe? I haven’t tried this particular recipe but I’ve had great luck in freezing twice baked potatoes in the past! You can even re-heat from frozen (no thawing necessary). Find my directions in this Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe!
What should I serve with this single serve sweet potato casserole?
Whether you are serving this sweet potato casserole recipe for the holidays or a Sunday night dinner, I have lots of ideas of what you can pair it with!
- Make Ahead Honey Roasted Carrots
- Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf
- Make Ahead Sage Apple Stuffing
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Pomegranate
- Instant Pot Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes
- Make Ahead Apple Crisp
Tips & equipment for twice baked sweet potato casserole with pecans
- I used my favorite, good quality sheet pan (these ones!)
- I made my pecan streusel right in this 4 cup glass measuring cup
- Looking for more sweet potato recipes? Check out these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Tots, these Lighter Sausage Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, or this Slow Cooker Black Bean, Quinoa & Sweet Potato Stew
Twice Baked Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (honey or brown sugar also work)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted; coconut oil also works)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (coconut sugar also works)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (almond flour also works)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub your sweet potato and pat dry with a towel. Prick sweet potato with a fork 10 or so times.
- Place sweet potato on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes- 1h 15 minutes. Test if your sweet potatoes are cooked through by gently squeezing with an oven mitt. If they are tender, they are ready to serve. If they are firm, return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
- Allow sweet potatoes to cool slightly, then slice in half lengthwise.
- Scoop flesh out from sweet potatoes, leaving 1/4 inch around the edge of the sweet potato skin. Transfer filling to a bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, yogurt, cinnamon and salt to the bowl and mash together. Gently scoop the filling back into the sweet potato skins.
- Microwave the butter and mix in the flour, brown sugar and pecans. Sprinkle evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes, keeping a careful eye that the pecans don't burn. Streusel should be melted and buttery.
To make ahead and store
- Complete all steps above and allow to cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Reheat on a baking sheet at 350°F for 10-20 minutes, until heated through.