This post shows you how to cook sweet potatoes using eight different methods (with photos!). We also share how to store them for meal prep, and lots of recipe ideas!
I'm very excited to be talking about how to cook sweet potatoes today, since it's one of my absolute favorite vegetables!
Want to know why you should be eating more sweet potatoes?
They are an excellent source of vitamins A & C, contain anti-inflammatory properties, are packed full of antioxidants, and despite being sweet, sweet potatoes will not hugely spike your blood sugars (thanks to fiber which burns slowly). Find more sweet potato health benefit facts here!
Not only are they so healthy for you, but sweet potatoes are absolutely delicious as well! I am sharing some of my go-to sweet potato cooking methods.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
This post covers a lot!
Click any link below to jump right to that section of the post.
Equipment & Tools
For the recipes in this post, I recommend the following tools
- good quality Chef's Knife
- sturdy sheet pans
- non stick skillet
- 6 quart Instant Pot
- 6 quart slow cooker
Cooking sweet potatoes in the oven
There are many different ways you can cook your sweet potatoes in the oven, and the time + temperature will vary based on the size you have cut them. Pictured above are the three ways I cut my sweet potatoes to bake in the oven.
Here are three methods for cooking sweet potatoes in the oven:
1. whole- works best for small and medium potatoes. Roast at 400°F for 45 minutes- 1h 30 minutes. Find full directions and a TON of tips in my How to Bake Sweet Potatoes post!
Ways to eat whole roasted sweet potatoes
- try this Twice Baked Sweet Potato Casserole for a sweet option
- try these Sausage Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for a savory option
2. cubes- I aim for ¾ inch cubes. Toss in olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning, and bake at 425°F for 25 minutes, stirring them up halfway.
How to add flavor to roasted sweet potato cubes
- sprinkle with cinnamon & coconut sugar
- try one of these 7 Spice Rubs
- we love the Brown Sugar Chili Seasoning or the Homemade Fajita Seasoning
3. fries- about ⅓ inch across and 2-3 inches long, but as you can see, size will vary. Toss in olive oil, season with salt & pepper, and bake at 425°F for 25-35 minutes, flipping them over halfway.
Sweet potato fry serving ideas
- we love these seasoned simply with salt & pepper
- dip them in this Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing (+ avocado for a super thick consistency) or this Healthy Homemade Ranch Dressing
How to cook sweet potatoes on the stove
If you are in a rush, the stove is the fastest way to cook your sweet potatoes. My two 'go-to' methods for the stove-top is to either spiralize or steam them.
Here are my two favorite stove top methods:
4. Sweet potato noodles- spiralize using the ¼ inch spacing spiralizer blade, and sautee with some olive oil until cooked through, but not mushy (approximately 7 minutes).
Sweet Potato Noodle Recipes
- check out my Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet recipe
- check out these Sweet Potato Noodles with Avocado Sauce
5. Steamed sweet potato- add 1 cm of water to the bottom of a pot. Peel, then cut into chunks. Add to pot and cook for 15 or so minutes, until a fork inserts easily (this will depend on the size of your sweet potatoes)
Ideas for steamed sweet potato
- I like mashing it with some yogurt & garlic salt for the baby
- use your steamed sweet potato puree in Sweet Potato Pancakes, Sweet Potato Waffles, Sweet Potato Tots, or Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
How to cook in an Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
I love using my Instant Pot or my slow cooker to cook sweet potatoes, because it's completely hands off, and cooks them to perfect, creamy perfection.
Just like in the oven, the cook time will depend on the size of your sweet potatoes.
- 6. Instant Pot- Find out how to cook Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes here!
- 7. Slow Cooker- Check out my method for Ultra Creamy Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes here
8. How to grill sweet potatoes
When the summer warms up, my favorite way to cook sweet potatoes is on the grill!
- Cut into rounds
- Toss in olive oil, salt & pepper (and a squeeze of fresh lime)
- Grill on a vegetable grilling plate over medium-high heat
- Enjoy with ketchup or your favorite dip! We love chipotle mayo.
Storing for meal prep
When it comes to meal prepping with sweet potatoes, there are some do's and don'ts.
- don't- cut them and store uncooked- they will harden and not be usable.
- do- cook them and store for up to 4 days in the fridge
- do- freeze them raw (at least in crock pot freezer meals!) They are still good after freeze/thawing and cooking in freezer crock pot meals. I can't say if they would hold up for roasting as the texture does soften a touch.
- do- roast them whole and re-heat through the week (roasting them ahead saves a ton of time during the week!)
- do- freeze whole roasted sweet potatoes and sweet potato puree
- don't- freeze roasted sweet potato cubes, spiralized sweet potatoes, or sweet potato fries- they get slimy upon thawing...basically anything you want to retain any texture, do not freeze 🙂
Sweet potato recipes
Looking for some delicious recipes to use up your sweet potatoes? I have a TON for you!
- Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Smoky Sweet Potato Hummus
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Freezer Sweet Potato Taquitos
- Freezer Sweet Potato Waffles
- Sweet Potato Falafels
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Sausage & Pepper Jack
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- Turkey & Smoked Gouda Sweet Potato Boats
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
- 1 sweet potato
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
1. Whole Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Wash sweet potatoes and pat dry. Prick with a fork several times.
- Roast for 45 minutes- 1 hour 30 minutes. Squeeze with oven mitt to determine if they are ready. See * note
2. Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cut sweet potatoes in ¾ inch cubes. Toss in olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Spread out on a sheet pan, and roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring once halfway.
- Sweet potatoes are ready when a fork inserts easily.
3. Sweet Potato Fries
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cut sweet potatoes into fries (about ⅓ inch across and 2-3 inches long). Toss in olive oil, and season with salt & pepper.
- Spread out on a sheet pan, and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, turning fries over half way through.
- Fries are ready when a fork inserts easily and they are slightly crispy.
4. Sweet Potato Noodles
- Spiralize using the ¼ inch spacing spiralizer blade.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the sweet potato noodles and toss to coat in the oil. Cook, using tongs to stir and flip the noodles, for approximately 7 minutes, or until noodles are cooked through (but not mushy).
5. Steamed Sweet Potatoes
- Peel sweet potato and chop into large cubes (2 inches or so).
- Add about 1 cm (½ inch) water to the bottom of a 4 quart pot. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add sweet potato cubes, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until a fork inserts easily into the sweet potatoes. Keep an eye and add more water if necessary.
- Transfer sweet potato noodles to a bowl and mash with seasonings. I like yogurt and garlic salt.
6. Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Scrub sweet potatoes.
- Add 1 cup of water to the insert of your Instant Pot. Place trivet over water, and sweet potatoes on top.
- Cook according to the width of your sweet potatoes: under 2 inches: 15 minutes, 2-3 inches: 25-35 minutes, 4 inches +: 60 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, before releasing the remaining pressure.
7. Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- Wash sweet potatoes and pat dry.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in your slow cooker. Place the larger sweet potatoes on the bottom and any smaller ones on top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours
8. Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Heat grill to medium-high. Place a vegetable grilling plate on the grill (see note **)
- Slice sweet potato into ¼ inch rounds.
- Toss in olive oil, and season with salt & pepper.
- Arrange sweet potato slices on the grill, and cook for 8-10 minutes per side, or until cooked though.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment