These simple black bean baked taquitos have a creamy sweet potato and black bean filling and are baked to crispy perfection. Vegetarian, and works great for meal prep!
My family is obsessed with Mexican food. Some of their most requested meals are these Sheet Pan Fajitas, and this Slow Cooker Chickpea Chili. These baked taquitos are popular as well, and handy because they are freezer friendly.
Filled with creamy spiced sweet potatoes, cheese and black beans, these are perfect for a snack, or you could make a meal out of them.
We love to cook up a batch and freeze; they thaw and reheat so well!
Bonus? They are baked, not fried, making them a lighter and healthier option.
Reasons you'll ♡ black bean baked taquitos
- they are vegetarian
- they are meal prep friendly and can even be frozen
- you only need six simple ingredients to make them
Watch the video below to see exactly how I prepped this recipe. It’s so easy! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Which ingredients do we need?
This recipe is simple and delicious! Here's what you'll need:
- tortillas- I used flour tortillas but corn would work great! Go for the medium sized (around 8 inches)
- sweet potato- we need 6 cups of cubed sweet potatoes, which was 4 small sweet potatoes for me
- cheese- mozzarella will do
- black beans- use canned or cook your own
- lime juice- fresh or bottled
- fajita seasoning- store-bought or make your own homemade fajita seasoning
Tips for the best taquitos
- sweet potatoes- you will need cooked sweet potatoes for this recipe. You can cook them ahead in the oven or the Instant Pot if you'd like.
- black beans- you will need 1 cup of black beans for this recipe, which is awkward as you will have some leftover (a full can was just too much!) Freeze them for later.
- meal prep- these taquitos work great for meal prep! Here are two ways you could meal prep these:
- prepare the filling ahead- make the puree and combine with the beans + cheese, but don't roll. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days, before rolling taquitos and baking up.
- bake ahead- alternatively you can follow this recipe all the way through and reheat. Taquitos may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for up to 2 months.
Find my meal prep containers and other kitchen equipment in my shop!
Let's talk toppings!
Now these taquitos are allll about the toppings! Here are some of my favorite toppings for these baked taquitos:
- yogrurt- drizzled as in the photos, or just dolloped on top
- salsa- or pico de gallo
- guacamole- or fresh avocado. See how to cut an avocado (and not your hand!)
- herbs- cilantro is a personal fave
- jalapenos- sliced or pickled
More healthy freezer meals
- 7 Chicken Marinades You Can Freeze
- 24 Freezer-Friendly Lunches
- Ultimate Breakfast Burritos
- One Pot Black Bean Fajita Pasta
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This post was originally published in 2017. The recipe has been adjusted, rephotographed and rewritten with a brand new video in 2019!
- 6 cups sweet potato cubes (1 inch cubes; roughly 4 small sweet potatoes)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 ½ tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese optional
- 10 tortillas (medium; 8 inches)
- spray oil
- guacamole (or avocado slices)
- yogurt (or sour cream)
- pico de gallo (or salsa)
- Fill a medium-sized pot with 2 cups of water and place a steamer basket on top. Arrange sweet potato cubes on the steamer basket.
- Steam for 20-30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a large bowl. Add the lime juice and fajita seasoning, and mash until creamy and smooth.
- Foll in the cheese and black beans.
- Roll taquitos: place ¼ - ⅓ cup of filling on an 8-inch tortilla. Roll tightly and place seam side down in a 9 x 13 inch dish or on a baking sheet. Repeat, nestling the rest of the taquitos in tightly.
- Spray with oil all over.
- Bake for 7-15 minutes at 425°F, until brown and crispy.
- Filling may be prepared ahead and stored in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
- Roll taquitos and bake as directed above.
- Taquitos may be baked ahead and stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely and reheat in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.