These simple black bean baked taquitos have a creamy sweet potato and black bean filling and are baked to crispy perfection. Vegetarian, and works great for meal prep!
This post was originally published in 2017. The recipe has been adjusted, rephotographed and rewritten with a brand new video in 2019!
Looking for a fun dinner that you can prepare ahead? These baked taquitos are it!
With a creamy sweet potato and black bean filling, they are baked to crispy perfection. Load them up with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Reasons you’ll ♡ these black bean baked taquitos
- they are vegetarian
- they are meal prep friendly and can even be frozen
- you only need six simple ingredients to make them
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Which ingredients do we need for baked black bean taquitos?
This recipe is simple and delicious! Here’s what you’ll need:
- tortillas- I used flour tortillas but corn would work great! Go for the medium sized (around 8 inches)
- sweet potato– we need 6 cups of cubed sweet potatoes, which was 4 small sweet potatoes for me
- cheese– mozzarella will do
- black beans– use canned or cook your own
- lime juice– fresh or bottled
- fajita seasoning– store-bought or make your own homemade fajita seasoning
How to make homemade taquitos baked in the oven
This recipe is simple to prepare and you can even do certain steps ahead of time to make for a super easy weeknight meal.
- prepare sweet potato puree– I recommend peeling your sweet potatoes and steaming the cubes for the creamiest filling.
- prepare the filling– mash sweet potatoes with lime and fajita seasoning, then fold in the cheese and black beans.
- get rolling– spoon 1/4 – 1/3 of a cup of filling onto the tortilla, then roll as tightly as you can.
- arrange– squeeze the taquitos together in a 9 x 13 inch pan or on a baking sheet.
- spray– with oil to help them get crispy
- bake– until edges are browned and tortillas are crispy
Let’s talk toppings!
Now these black bean taquitos are allll about the toppings! Here are some of my favorite toppings for these baked taquitos:
- yogrurt- drizzled as in the photos, or just dolloped on top
- salsa– or pico de gallo
- guacamole– or fresh avocado. See how to cut an avocado (and not your hand!)
- herbs– cilantro is a personal fave
- jalapenos– sliced or pickled
How to meal prep taquitos
You can meal prep these oven baked taquitos in one of two ways:
- prepare the filling ahead– make the puree and combine with the beans + cheese, but don’t roll. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days, before rolling taquitos and baking up.
- I like this 6 cup meal prep container to store the filling.
- bake ahead– alternatively you can follow this recipe all the way through and reheat. Taquitos may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for up to 2 months.
- I like this 8 cup glass meal prep container to stack the baked taquitos. You can fit six taquitos in it.
Tips & equipment for perfect oven baked taquitos
- bake them up in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish or one of these sturdy baking sheets
- store cooked taquitos in an air tight container in the fridge like this 8 cup glass meal prep container
- Looking for more vegetarian meal prep recipes? Check out this Black Bean Fajita Pasta, this Easy Red Lentil Dal, and this Chopped Chickpea Salad
Black Bean Baked Taquitos
- 6 cups sweet potato cubes (1 inch cubes; roughly 4 small sweet potatoes)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese optional
- 10 tortillas (medium; 8 inches)
- spray oil
- guacamole (or avocado slices)
- yogurt (or sour cream)
- pico de gallo (or salsa)
- Fill a medium-sized pot with 2 cups of water and place a steamer basket on top. Arrange sweet potato cubes on the steamer basket.
- Steam for 20-30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a large bowl. Add the lime juice and fajita seasoning, and mash until creamy and smooth.
- Foll in the cheese and black beans.
- Roll taquitos: place 1/4 - 1/3 cup of filling on an 8-inch tortilla. Roll tightly and place seam side down in a 9 x 13 inch dish or on a baking sheet. Repeat, nestling the rest of the taquitos in tightly.
- Spray with oil all over.
- Bake for 7-15 minutes, until brown and crispy.
- Filling may be prepared ahead and stored in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
- Roll taquitos and bake as directed above.
- Taquitos may be baked ahead and stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely and reheat in the microwave or oven until warmed through.