One pot black bean fajita pasta is creamy and delicious vegetarian pasta recipe. With bell peppers, onions, black beans and fajita seasonings, it’s perfect for weeknight dinners or for meal prep.
One pot pasta is an absolute hero at our house. We love this Sun Dried Tomato White Bean Pasta and this One Pot Pasta with Chicken & Feta, but when we are craving something non-traditional, we go for this fajita pasta!
If you’ve never had it before, one pot pasta is going to knock your socks off. As the pasta simmers in the sauce, it absorbs SO much more flavor than if you cooked the sauce + pasta separately.
And this black bean fajita pasta takes the ‘easy’ factor up a notch because you don’t need to sautee anything…simply dump the ingredients into the pot and let it work its magic.
This also means you can assemble ahead as a freezer stovetop meal!
Reasons you’ll ♡ this one pot black bean fajita pasta
- it’s vegetarian
- you can assemble ahead and freeze or freeze leftovers
- it cooks up in one pot for easy prep and less dishes
Want to see just how cheesy this black bean fajita pasta is? Watch the 1-minute video below! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Let’s talk ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this one pot pasta:
- Pasta– this recipe has been tested with several different shapes and works well with a variety of small shapes like rotini or fusili. Take the cook time as a guideline and adjust as needed when subbing different pasta shapes.
- Black beans– use canned or make your own with this Perfect Black Beans recipe
- Diced tomatoes– you can up the spice factor by using Rotel if you’d like
- Corn– fresh, frozen or canned will all work fine
- Veggies– sliced bell peppers and red onion
- Spices– chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt
- Lime– which sounds weird but brings balance to the flavors
- Cheese– I used Mozzarella but I bet Monterey Jack would be amazing in this recipe
- Stock– vegetable, chicken, bone broth, or even just water will work
Does gluten-free pasta work in this recipe?
Unfortunately I have not tested. If you give it a try, would you let us know in the comments below how it went for you?
Can I cook this in the Instant Pot?
I bet you could, but you might need to play with the water ratios. A good general rule is to *just* cover the pasta with water and use half the cook time that the box calls for. I hope to have some Instant Pot pasta recipes on the blog in the future!
Can I swap the pasta for rice?
Check out my Instant Pot Black Bean Fiesta Rice Bowls. You can cook this on the stove top with double the water (20 minutes simmer + 10 minute rest)
Meal prep tips
This one pot pasta can work wonderfully as part of your meal prep routine. Here are some tips for perfect pasta:
- Meal Prep– This recipe can be assembled ahead and stored in the fridge or freezer OR it can be cooked ahead and portioned out for leftovers.
- Pasta– if you assemble ahead, do not add the pasta until just before you cook. You can use a variety of small pasta shapes in this recipe.
- Storage– you can assemble ahead and store in the fridge for up to 4 days or freezer for up to 3 months. You can keep cooked leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Stirring– make sure that you stir the pasta frequently as it cooks to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep it covered between stirs.
More pasta recipes!
- One Pot Healthy Cajun Chicken Orzo
- One Pot White Bean Pasta with Leeks and Asparagus
- 19 Healthy One Pot Pasta Recipes
- Kale Chicken Pasta Salad
- One Pan Tuscan Chicken Pasta Bake
One Pot Black Bean Fajita Pasta
To assemble ahead
- 2 bell peppers (sliced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (sliced)
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (or 19 oz; both work well)
- 15 oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed; or 19 oz)
- 7 oz can corn kernels (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
Add fresh when cooking
- 1 cup stock
- 2 cups small pasta shapes (6.5 oz; see note *)
Just before serving
- 1/2 lime (juiced; 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- In a medium pot, combine all ingredients including pasta and stock. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and mozzarella cheese, until evenly distributed and melted.
- (Optional) Serve with lime wedges and cilantro.
To assemble ahead:
- Combined all 'assemble ahead' ingredients in a large meal prep container or in a heavy duty freezer bag.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If frozen, thaw completely before cooking as directed above. You may need to remove the pot lid during the last 5 minutes of cook time to allow the liquids to reduce.