Instant Pot fiesta rice bowls are a vegetarian, gluten-free recipe that works great for meal prep! Just dump it all in the Instant Pot, press the button, and you’re done!
After sharing this Instant Pot Cajun Rice and Sausage, I’m back on the Instant Pot train when it comes to meal prep. There is something so satisfying about dumping a bunch of ingredients into the Instant Pot and letting it work it’s magic.
These fiesta rice meal prep bowls are another ‘no sautee’ Instant Pot recipe.
With basmati rice, black beans, corn, peppers, tomatoes and taco seasoning, these rice bowls are loaded with veggies, and get a ton of flavor while cooking.
Best of all, for about 15 minutes of active cooking time, you get six lunch portions, and you can freeze some for later!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
We love these Instant Pot fiesta rice bowls because:
- you can assemble all ingredients (except for rice), ahead and freeze as a freezer Instant Pot meal
- no sauteeing! Just dump all ingredients in and press the button
- leftovers keep as meal prep lunches and can even be frozen
How to cook Instant Pot fiesta rice bowls
- Chop up all your veggies: 1 bell pepper, 1/2 a red onion, and 3 tomatoes.
- Add to the Instant Pot with basmati rice, taco seasoning, a can of corn and black beans, and water or vegetable stock.
- Stir it all up and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Allow pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese and sprinkle the rest on top.
VOILA. Instant Pot fiesta rice bowls are done!
What toppings go well on these rice bowls?
These Instant Pot fiesta rice bowls are ALL about the toppings!
- extra cheese
- avocado (see how to cut an avocado (and not your hand) here!)
- fresh tomatoes
- fresh lime wedges
- fresh onion (green or red!)
- greek yogurt
- and so many more options!
Will this recipe work in an 8 quart Instant Pot? I’m not sure it will as there is only 1 cup of liquid and your 8 quart requires 1.5 cups. If you try it in the 8 quart, PLEASE leave a comment below!
Can I use another type of rice? Long grain white rice is a good bet for this recipe. Jasmine rice *may* need an extra 1 minute of cook time.
- Short grain rice, instant rice, brown rice and wild rice will not work in this recipe
Can I swap the rice for quinoa? I bet that would work but I have not tried it. It would be the same liquid ratio, but a cook time of 1 min (plus full natural pressure release). The veggies should cook through in this time.
Tips & equipment for Instant Pot fiesta rice bowls:
- this recipe has been tested in a 6 quart Instant Pot and might not work in an 8 quart Instant Pot. I would scale up the recipe if you do use an 8 quart
- I used these meal prep containers
- Looking for more Instant Pot meal prep recipes? Check out these Instant Pot Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers, this Instant Pot Chickpea Curry, and this Instant Pot Coconut Sweet Chili Stir Fry
Instant Pot Fiesta Rice Bowls
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 3 tomatoes (chopped; see *notes)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 11 oz can of corn (drained; 341 mL)
- 18 oz can of black beans (drained & rinsed; 541 mL)
- 4.3 oz oz can green chiles (127mL)
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- fresh tomatoes, cilantro, guacamole, salsa or other toppings
- Combine the rice, onion, tomatoes, peppers, corn, black beans, chiles, taco seasoning and water in the base of a 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Stir to combine, put the lid on and set valve to 'sealing'.
- Pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally (takes around 15 minutes).
- Remove the lid and stir in 1 cup of the cheese. Sprinkle the top of the rice with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and put the lid back on for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with suggested toppings.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days and the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized (4L) pot. Add 2 cups of water or stock.
- Bring to a simmer and start the timer for 20 minutes. Keep the lid on, but stir every 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the burner and set aside to rest for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in cheese and enjoy!