Instant Pot Cajun rice and sausage is an easy one pot meal to make your weekly meal prep a breeze. Perfect as a weeknight dinner as well.
I took a break from Instant Pot recipes for a few months there, but fear not, I’m back on the Instant Pot train and have a bunch of recipes coming, starting with this Instant Pot Cajun Rice and Sausage.
Not only is it delicious, healthy, and sneakily full of veggies, but it’s a ‘dump and go’ meal…just dump the ingredients in the pot, start the cooking process, and leave it to do the work for you!
The rice absorbs so much flavor during the cooking process, and the sausage adds a nice smoky flavor to the dish. AND you can meal prep this recipe in a couple of different ways (discussed below!)
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons to love Instant Pot Cajun rice and sausage:
- it’s a one pot ‘dump and go’ meal
- you can assemble ahead and freeze (minus the rice) for a Freezer Instant Pot meal
- you can portion out leftovers and enjoy for meal prep, they freeze/thaw well, too!
How to make it
So so simple, and you don’t even need to sautee! Most of your time will be spent chopping veggies, but even that is simple for this recipe.
- add all ingredients to the Instant Pot, stir to combine
- seal the Instant Pot and cook for 3 min (will take 15-ish minutes to come to pressure)
- allow a full natural pressure release (15-ish minutes)
- stir everything up and enjoy!
Can I swap the rice? This recipe has only been tested with basmati rice, and I don’t recommend switching. Other types of rice may have different cook times that are not compatible with the veggies.
Can I use this recipe meal prep? Yes! You can meal prep this recipe in two different ways:
- cook, portion out and refrigerate (or freeze!)
- assemble all ingredients (except for the rice) in a freezer-friendly bag, and freeze for later. When you’re ready to cook, add the rice and cook as directed!
Is this recipe spicy? The Cajun seasoning I use is fairly mild. If you have a super spicy one, cut back on the seasoning for sure! As written and using Clubhouse Cajun seasoning, it is mildly spicy.
Tips & equipment
Instant Pot Cajun Rice and Sausage
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
- 2 celery (chopped into small pieces)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 6 andouille sausages (375 g; 13 oz)
- 3 Roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup basmati rice (rinsed)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (* reduce if you have a spicy brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in the base of a 6 quart Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Put lid on, set valve to 'sealing' and pressure cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Instant Pot will take roughly 15 minutes to come to pressure and 15 minutes to naturally release the pressure.
- Once pin has dropped, remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in the microwave until steaming hot and enjoy!
Freezer Instant Pot Packs
- To assemble freezer packs, add all ingredients except for the rice into a large (gallon-sized) freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze flat.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To cook- thaw completely overnight, and add contents of freezer pack to the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of rinsed basmati rice. Cook as directed above.