Instant Pot coconut sweet chili chicken stir fry is easily ready in under 30 minutes! Made with a few simple ingredients, you can assemble freezer packs making for easy weeknight dinners.
A few months ago, I showed you how to prep Seven Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes ahead and freeze them, and I’ve been working my way through the final products. At long last we are on the very last recipe…coconut sweet chili chicken!
This Coconut sweet chili chicken recipe is actually one of the stir fry sauces from this post with seven stir fry sauce recipes. Since it had close to a cup of liquid, it is perfect for using as a cooking liquid for boneless skinless chicken breast in the Instant Pot.
This coconut sweet chili sauce is one of my favorites on the blog…it’s subtle, but the more you eat it, the more flavor that creeps up. It’s a bit sweet, a bit savory, and a bit spicy. I hope you give it a try, it really is delicious!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
NEW: looking for Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes? Check this post out!
How to make this recipe ahead and freeze it
Chicken breast freezer packs are a staple in my freezer and are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks! Here’s how you can turn this coconut sweet chili chicken stir fry recipe into a freezer pack:
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken breasts, coconut milk, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and red pepper flakes in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the Instant Pot and pressure cooking for 8 minutes.
But wait, what about the vegetables?
Yes, this is a ‘stir fry’, but the vegetables can’t go into the Instant Pot at the same time as the chicken. Trust me, I tried, and what I got? A plate full of mushy vegetables.
Instead, we cook the chicken in the coconut sweet chili sauce, infusing it with a ton of flavor. Then we remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set it aside to let it rest.
Select the ‘sautee’ function, toss in your veggies, and cook for 5 or so minutes, until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
Cube the chicken, toss it back into the IP and toss with the sauce.
We served our coconut sweet chili chicken stir fry over rice. YUM!
What kind of vegetables can I use in this Instant Pot stir fry? I used a mix of carrots, bell peppers, red onion and snap peas, but you could use different vegetables for sure! Zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, asparagus, mushrooms, anything that doesn’t have too high of a water content (like tomatoes or cucumbers).
Can I cook this Instant Pot coconut sweet chili chicken from frozen? You may be able to, however I have not tried. I do worry that the sauce might burn, so I recommend thawing completely before cooking.
Can I sub chicken thighs in this recipe? Yes! If you’d like to swap the chicken breasts for boneless skinless chicken thighs, simply adjust the cook time to 10 minutes, and you are good!
Tips for perfect Instant Pot Coconut Sweet Chili Chicken Stir Fry:
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot; this recipe has not been tested in an 8 quart or mini
- make sure you use heavy duty freezer bags if you are going to make freezer packs
- I always use reduced sodium soy sauce; if you use regular it may be slightly saltier
- Looking for more chicken breast recipes? Check out these 7 Chicken Marinade Recipes You Can Freeze, and this sequel with 7 (more) Freezer Friendly Chicken Breast Marinades. And of course, the 7 Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes postInstant Pot Coconut Sweet Chili Chicken Stir FryPrep Time15 minsCook Time13 minsTotal Time28 minsCourse: Main CourseCuisine: ThaiKeyword: Instant Pot Chicken, stir fryServings: 4Calories: 382 kcalIngredients
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 2 large chicken breasts)
- half can coconut milk 200 mL/ 6.7 oz
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4-5 cups vegetables, sliced thinly for stir fry (such as bell peppers, snap peas, red onions, carrots)
Nutrition FactsInstant Pot Coconut Sweet Chili Chicken Stir FryAmount Per ServingCalories 382 Calories from Fat 126% Daily Value*Total Fat 14g 22%Saturated Fat 10g 50%Cholesterol 72mg 24%Sodium 651mg 27%Potassium 929mg 27%Total Carbohydrates 34g 11%Dietary Fiber 7g 28%Sugars 7gProtein 31g 62%Vitamin A 186.3%Vitamin C 26.1%Calcium 6%Iron 22%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Combine all ingredients (except the vegetables) in 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes (for average 7 oz chicken breasts; see note). Release the pressure when the Instant Pot beeps (quick pressure release).
- Using a pair of tongs, carefully remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and allow to rest while you cook the veggies.
Add veggies to the Instant Pot and select 'sautee'. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until veggies are tender.
Slice chicken and return to the pot.
- Serve over rice, spooning the sauce over everything.