Instant Pot quinoa enchilada casserole is a delicious and easy weeknight dinner! Prep freezer packs for a convenient freezer Instant Pot meal. Vegetarian, gluten-free, and easily made vegan!
It’s the third recipe in my Instant Pot series, and I’m not going to lie: I am LOVING my Instant Pot.
Yes, there is definitely a learning curve, but now that I’m using it more regularly, it is so much easier to use and I find myself looking at so many of my recipes and asking if I can convert them to IP recipes.
My top favorite recipes to make in the Instant Pot are steel cut oats and chicken breast. And this Instant Pot quinoa casserole is definitely up there, too. It’s healthy, delicious, and the best part? It cooks for only TWO MINUTES.
Well OK, that’s totally misleading. Yes, it cooks for only 2 minutes at pressure. But it takes time to come to pressure, and then we let it sit for 10 minutes to naturally release some of the pressure. So total time is really more like 15-20 minutes. But heck, I’ll take it!
Now this recipe took me FOUR TIMES to get right. And HUGE thank you to Steph at Confessions of a Meal Plan Addict who volunteered to test out a batch for me! She let me know that all I really needed to get the recipe working for me was a bit more water. D’oh! Turns out enchilada sauce is too thick to create steam and get the pot to pressure.
Anyway, if you are interested in Instant Pot recipes, particularly ones you can prep ahead, you have to check out her blog! Her recipes look amazing and even teaches Instant Potcooking classes. <–IP Expert!!
Okeeee where were we? Right. So I finally got the water/quinoa/enchilada sauce ratio right, and this meal is ridiculously easy to prep. In fact, you can prep it ahead, and stash it in the fridge or freezer, so that on cook day you literally just have to dump your container/bag right into the pot.
Now this Instant Pot quinoa enchilada casserole is alllll about the toppings. We loaded up on fresh cherry tomatoes, some cilantro and avocado slices. Salsa & sour cream/greek yogurt are also great choices!
So how are you enjoying all these Instant Pot recipes? Want more? Let me know in the comments! I have at least two more on the way.
Tips for perfect Instant Pot Quinoa Enchilada Casserole:
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot
- To make Instant Pot freezer packs, combine all ingredients except for the quinoa and the water in a gallon freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Want more Instant Pot recipes? I’ve updated this Slow Cooker Smoky Chickpea Chili (Vegan) and this Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew with Instant Pot instructions. And check out these 7 Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes!
- Check out this Mexican Spaghetti Squash Casserole!
Instant Pot Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 can green chiles 127 mL/4.3 oz
- 1 can corn kernels drained (341 mL/ 11.5 oz)
- 1 can black beans drained & rinsed (540 mL/ 19 oz)
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- diced tomatoes
- Place all ingredients in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 1 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15-20 minutes.
- Release remaining pressure and stir in the cheese and enchilada sauce.
- Serve with cilantro, avocado, and additional diced tomatoes.
To prepare ahead and freeze:
- Place all ingredients except the quinoa (and water) in a gallon-size freezer bag.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before adding all ingredients to the Instant Pot with the quinoa and water and cooking as indicated above.