This sun dried tomato pasta with chickpeas, mushrooms and spinach cooks up in one pot! Give it a few stirs, and dinner is ready! Easy to assemble ahead and customize with your favorite ingredients.
One pot pasta is absolutely perfect for busy weeknights and for meal prep! These One Pot Black Bean Fajita Pasta and One Pot Healthy Cajun Chicken Orzo recipes are two of our go-to's, and this sun dried tomato pasta is another highly requested recipe.
If you haven't tried one pot pasta before, prepare to have your mind blown. So much flavor absorbs into the pasta as all of the ingredients cook together, and it gets so creamy even without adding cream. Simply load everything into a large pot, simmer, stir occasionally, and serve!
Reasons you'll love this sun dried tomato pasta
- it is a delicious vegetarian recipe
- no sautéing required, everything cooks in one pot
- can be assembled uncooked ahead as a freezer --> stovetop meal OR cooked ahead of time and frozen for leftovers
Wondering how this sun dried tomato pasta recipe comes together? Watch this 1-minute video to see how easy it is to prep! You can find more video recipes on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Pasta shapes and types to use
I've made this recipe countless times, and have found a variety of pasta shapes to work.
Here are some pasta shapes that work:
- bow tie
This list is not exhaustive, and you should be able to use any smaller pasta shapes. If using a different pasta shape, use your best judgment for cook time, and add additional water if you feel it is needed.
I do not recommend using the following:
- large pasta shapes (rigatoni, lasagna noodles)
- chickpea or lentil pasta (have not been tested and will likely have different water ratios and cook times)
- gluten-free pasta (has not been tested and may require a different water ratio and cook time)
For this sun dried tomato pasta, we are using 2 cups of vegetable stock (or water). It will not look like enough water, but stay with me! This liquid will absorb into the pasta as it cooks, and the starch from the pasta + cheese will work wonders to create a slightly creamy liquid sauce.
Note that it is important to stir the pasta frequently (every 2 or so minutes), placing the lid back on between stirs, to help the pasta cook evenly and absorb the liquids.
Cook ahead and enjoy later
Sun dried tomato one pot pasta works great for meal prep and can be prepped ahead in two different ways:
To assemble ahead as 'freezer packs', simply combine all ingredients except for the pasta in a gallon sized freezer bag, reusable silicone bag, or meal prep container. Squeeze air out (if possible), and freeze for up to 3 months.
To cook- thaw completely, add pasta, and cook as directed.
Find my favorite freezer equipment here!
You can also cook this recipe ahead, portion out into meal prep containers, and store in the fridge (4 days) or the freezer (3 months).
To re-heat- heat in the microwave until steaming hot. For best food safety practices, do not reheat more than once.
Find my favorite meal prep containers here!
Control the spice level
As written this recipe is mildly spicy; omit the red pepper flakes for no spiciness, or increase the amount used to make even spicier
Can you make it vegan?
I have not tested this recipe without the cheese, and do worry that it would seriously lack flavor without it. Plus, the cheese really helps the sauce to thicken up just right.
But give it a try with your favorite melty vegan cheese! If you do, would you please let me know in the comments how it goes?
Swap the sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach for your favorite veggie. Other vegetables that could work well are chopped tomatoes, onion, and maybe some sliced zucchini.
You could swap the chickpeas for white beans to keep this recipe vegetarian, or add in some cooked chicken or salmon to make it a meat-based meal.
Looking for More Pasta Recipes?
- Kale Chicken Pasta Salad
- Chicken Caprese Pasta Bake
- One Pot White Bean Pasta with Leeks and Asparagus
- Healthy Greek Chicken Pasta Salad
- One Pan Chicken Tuscan Pasta Bake
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Sun Dried Tomato One Pot Pasta
- 6 oz mushrooms quartered
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes (oil drained off and chopped into small pieces)
- 19 oz can of chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 2 cups dried pasta (see note * ; 6.5 oz)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
Just before serving
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 cup cheese (mozzarella or swiss cheese) shredded
- In a 4 quart pot, combine the mushrooms, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, sun dried tomatoes, chickpeas, pasta and stock. Stir to combine.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Make sure to place the lid back on between stirs.
- When pasta is cooked through, stir in the spinach and cheese until cheese is melted and spinach is wilted.
- To assemble this recipe ahead and freeze, prepare a gallon-sized freezer bag, reusable silicone bag or large meal prep container labeled with the name of the recipe, the date, and cooking directions.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, sun dried tomatoes, chickpeas and stock. Do not add the pasta!
- Squeeze air out if possible, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before adding the pasta and cooking as directed above.
- this recipe has been tested with a variety of shapes including rotini, penne, shells, bow tie and macaroni.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment