Pepperoni pizza puffs are a soft, savory muffin with all the flavors of pizza. Perfect for a kid-friendly snack, packed lunch, or for meal prep.
When I want to feel like a kid again, I turn to pizza. This English Muffin Mini Pizza Recipe is an easy favorite, and when I want to keep things lower carb, I make these Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms. Pizza puffs are another delicious pizza-ey snack option!
Pizza puffs are soft and fluffy, and loaded up with pizza toppings: pepperoni slices, herbs, pizza sauce, and (of course), cheese!
Not only are they absolutely delicious, but so easy to prep. Just one bowl and 15 minutes and you can have these baking up in the oven.
Reasons you’ll ♡ these pepperoni pizza puffs
Want to see just how fluffy these puffs are? Watch this 1-minute video to see! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Let's talk ingredients!
These puffs are made with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry:
- flour- they can be made with all purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, or a mixture of 50% whole wheat and 50% all purpose flour. They have not been tested with gluten-free or any alternative flours
- milk- swap for your fave unsweetened non-dairy milk (like almond milk)
- herbs- basil and oregano for that authentic pizza flavor
- eggs- are necessary. This has not been tested with egg alternatives.
- pizza sauce- is swirled into the muffin tops. It's also great as a dip with these muffins!
- pepperoni slices- you want nice, small slices. I took a pepperoni stick and sliced it thinly. If you have regular-sized pepperoni slices, you will need to chop them up.
- cheese- I used mozzarella but cheddar, gouda or monterey jack would all work really well in this recipe!
This pizza puff recipe works amazingly well for meal prep. Here are some tips to get you cooking: Find my favorite cookie scoop, muffin pans, and other kitchen equipment in my shop!
Meal prep tips
This pizza puff recipe works amazingly well for meal prep. Here are some tips to get you cooking:
Find my favorite cookie scoop, muffin pans, and other kitchen equipment in my shop!
Add ins for this pizza puff recipe
Treat this recipe like you would a pizza: fully customizable based on what you have on hand. Here are some ideas:
- bbq sauce- swap the pizza sauce for bbq sauce
- pesto- swap the pizza sauce for pesto
- pineapple- stir in some pineapple for a Hawaiian twist
- finely chopped bell peppers + onions or cauliflower- I would sautee them for a few minutes and blot out extra liquid with a paper towel.
- grated zucchini- press out any liquid
- olives- chopped
More kid-friendly snack ideas:
- No Bake Energy Bites 7 Ways
- Instant Pot Applesauce
- Foolproof Crispy Baked Kale Chips
- Crispy Baked Falafel Recipe
- Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies
This post was originally published in 2015. It has been tweaked, rephotographed and republished in 2020.
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour (188 g; spooned, fluffed + levelled. See note *)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups milk (or unsweetened non-dairy milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup pepperoni (thinly sliced; reserve some for muffin tops)
- 12 teaspoons pizza sauce
To serve (optional)
- additional pizza sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12-count muffin tray with oil and rub with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, herbs and salt.
- Add the milk, then the eggs. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until *just* combined.
- Fold in 1½ cups of cheese (reserving ½ a cup for tops) and the pepperoni.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin tins.
- Place a teaspoon of pizza sauce on the tops of the muffins, gently swirl in with a knife.
- Sprinkle tops with reserved cheese, and press a few extra pieces of pepperoni in, if desired.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Mine were perfect at 21 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before running a knife around edges of pan and popping the muffins out.
- Pizza puffs may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for up to 1 month.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Adapted from Rachel Ray