Sheet pan chicken fajitas with juicy strips of chicken, bell peppers and onions tossed in a delicious homemade fajita seasoning. Works great for meal prep or for a simple weeknight dinner.
When it comes to crowd pleasing dinners, can you really beat chicken fajitas? Sometimes we will opt for this crockpot chicken fajitas recipe, and other times we go vegan with these chickpea butternut squash fajitas, but sometimes you just want good old classic baked chicken fajitas.
I love me a good sheet pan dinner, and these sheet pan chicken fajitas are at the top of that list!
Not only do they taste delicious, but they have that ‘lazy factor’ that I absolutely need on busy weeknights.
And you can meal prep these fajitas in one of two ways: assemble ahead and store until you’re ready to cook, or cook ahead and reheat the leftovers!
Reasons you’ll ♡ these sheet pan fajitas
- easy to customize and crowd-pleasing
- cooks on 1-2 sheet pans for easy clean up
- can be meal prepped: assemble ahead or cook ahead!
Want to see how this recipe comes together? Watch the video below for a step by step guide. It’s so easy! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Which ingredients do we need?
Seriously, this is such an easy recipe and you can really make do with what you have in the fridge. Traditional fajitas have bell peppers and onions, but I couldn’t resist throwing in some zucchini and mushrooms.
Here’s what you need for chicken fajitas
- chicken breast– cut into strips (1×2 inches).
- veggies– bell peppers and onions sliced into strips. Add in quartered mushrooms and zucchini strips as well if you’d like!
- fajita seasoning– you can purchase pre-made fajita seasoning for a shortcut, or make your own.
- olive oil & lime juice
- toppings– we love adding fresh cilantro and avocado slices. See below for more delicious fajita toppings!
Tips for perfect fajitas
Some serving suggestions:
- avocado slices or guacamole (see how to cut an avocado here)
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- cheese (not authentic but my kids love it)
- pickled onions or jalapenos
Prep ahead and eat later
You can meal prep this recipe in one of two ways:
- Assemble ahead– you can pre-slice your veggies and chicken, toss in olive oil, lime juice and seasoning, and store in an air tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Check the expiry date on your chicken before storing to make sure it is safe to store uncooked for this period of time.
- when you are ready to cook, simply spread out on a sheet pan and bake for 15-20 minutes!
- Cook ahead– these sheet pan chicken fajitas were one of our Lunch Prep Challenge recipes back in 2017. Cook ahead, portion out into 2 cup meal prep containers, and reheat as needed for lunches or dinners. It would freeze well, too!
- for eating at lunch, I like serving with a tortilla boat, as it’s less messy. Keep tortillas and filling separate until you are ready to serve.
Can I swap the bell peppers or onions?
Yes, you definitely could do that. Replace with vegetables that will roast through in 15 minutes such as mushrooms, zucchini, small cut broccoli or cauliflower, halved brussels sprouts, or green beans. These are not in any way traditional ingredients, but would work if you are trying to clean out the fridge.
- roasted sweet potato cubes would be tasty in sheet pan fajitas, but require closer to 25 minutes to cook through in the oven
- portobello mushrooms are great for a vegan version of this recipe; check out these Portobello Fajita Vegan Meal Prep Bowls (omit the quinoa and use tortillas)
Can I freeze this recipe?
After cooking- yes. Before cooking- I think it will work as a freezer to sheet pan meal, but haven’t tried. Thaw completely before spreading out on a sheet pan and cooking as directed.
Can I make these fajitas low carb or keto?
Swap the sugar for either monk fruit sweetener (around 1/4 of the amount), or leave out altogether.
More sheet pan recipes
- Lemon Chicken Baked Gnocchi
- Lemon Pepper Salmon Sheet Pan
- Sheet Pan Honey Lemon Salmon
- Jamaican Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- 19 Meal Prep Sheet Pan Recipes
This post was originally published in 2017. It has been re-written and re-published in 2019 with new photos and a new video. Same delicious recipe!
Meal Prep Chicken Fajitas (Sheet Pan)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 2 chicken breasts (roughly 1 lb; sliced into strips)
- 2 bell peppers (sliced into strips)
- 1 red onion (sliced into strips)
- 1 zucchini (optional; sliced into strips)
- 1 cup mushrooms (optional; quartered)
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 6 inch tortillas (or tortilla boats)
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Stir together the fajita seasoning.
- Toss the chicken and veggies in a large bowl with the olive oil and lime juice.
- Add the rub and stir to coat.
- Arrange chicken and veggies on 1-2 large sheet pans.
- Roast for 10 minutes, flip and roast for another 5-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve in tortillas with your favorite fajita toppings (avocado, cilantro, greek yogurt, sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, jalapeno slices are a few ideas).
To assemble ahead
- Complete steps 2-4, then transfer to a large storage container or bag.
- Store in the fridge (see *note) for up to 3 days (check the expiry date on your chicken to be sure it is safe to keep that long).
- Dump onto sheet pans and cook as directed above.
To cook ahead
- After cooking and cooling completely, divide the fajita filling between four 2 cup meal prep containers.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave until steaming hot, then spoon into tortillas or tortilla boats.