How to cook a sweet potato in the microwave- the quickest way to do it when you're in a rush!
It's no secret that we love sweet potatoes here at Sweet Peas & Saffron. But sometimes, you want your sweet potato fix, and you don't want to wait an hour while they roast.
Enter the microwave! In just 5-7 minutes, you can have delicious sweet potatoes that you can stuff with delicious fillings, scoop out and use in other recipes, or just enjoy with a lil melted butter.
Today, I'm showing you how to cook a sweet potato in the microwave!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons to love this 'recipe':
- it's the fastest way to cook a sweet potato
- you don't need to heat up the oven
- it's great for cooking single sweet potatoes or small batches
How to cook a sweet potato in the microwave
This is going to be short and sweet because it's so ridiculously simple!
- poke sweet potato all over with a paring knife
- place in a covered microwave-safe dish (like this one!)
- microwave on high for 3 minutes, carefully flip the sweet potato over
- microwave on high for another 2-4 minutes (longer for large potatoes!), checking for doneness by squeezing gently with an oven-mitt covered hand
But aren't microwaves bad for you? NO. Please read this article. There have been plenty of scientific studies done on microwaved food and exposure to microwaves and there has been no link to cancer development (or other health issues).
Do I need to microwave the sweet potato in a container? I highly recommend it, as the sweet potato ended up substantially more moist. Sweet potatoes microwaved uncovered on a plate ended up dryer and not as creamy on the inside.
How long do you need to microwave a sweet potato? For the sweet potatoes pictured above, it took 5-7 minutes. It's going to depend on the size of your sweet potatoes.
How can I tell when my sweet potatoes are cooked through? I give them a gentle squeeze with an oven mitt. When they become soft to the squeeze, they should be ready.
Sweet potato recipes
Looking for some delicious recipes to use up your sweet potatoes? I have a TON for you!
- Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Smoky Sweet Potato Hummus
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Freezer Sweet Potato Taquitos
- Freezer Sweet Potato Waffles
- Sweet Potato Falafels
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Sausage & Pepper Jack
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- Turkey & Smoked Gouda Sweet Potato Boats
Tips & equipment
How to Cook a Sweet Potato in the Microwave
- 1 sweet potato
- Poke sweet potato all over with a paring knife.
- Place sweet potato in a covered microwave-safe dish and heat on high for 3 minutes.
- Flip the sweet potato over (using tongs), and heat for another 2-4 minutes, until the potato is soft when squeezed with an oven mitt.
- Cooked sweet potatoes may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.