Crispy air fryer sweet potato tots are made with only five ingredients and just a touch of spray oil. They can be made ahead and frozen, then go directly into the air fryer from frozen for an easy, kid-approved snack or side dish. Recipe includes directions for making these sweet potato tots in the oven as well.
I'm kind of ridiculously excited about today's recipe because...ummm...we've been eating them A LOT lately.
And also? I get to introduce you to my new toy. An air fryer!
I've wanted an air fryer for such a long time but thought Ben would shoot me down on another kitchen toy. But after showing him an air fryer video from Buzzfeed, he was like "WHY DO WE NOT HAVE AN AIR FRYER?!" and I knew I had permission to get one. Muah ha ha!
We've been having fun making lots of different food in the air fryer with different levels of success, but these air fryer sweet potato tots were definitely one of our faves because they just get so crispy and are incredibly easy to make!
Don't have an air fryer? Fear not, you can prep these in the oven. Not as crispy but still delicious!
Pros and cons of an air fryer
PROS: There are some amazing pros to an air fryer: firstly, you get crispy food very little oil.
Not only that but it cooks quickly, often faster than in the oven.
CONS: It cooks small batches. For these tots, you can only cook 10 or so at a time. Overcrowding = smooshy tots and NO ONE likes smooshy tots 😉
Some food you can cook larger batches, though. Ie: a whole package frozen sweet potato fries may be dumped right in and given a good shake up mid way through.
Another con? It is large and takes up counter space. HOWEVER we have been using ours non-stop and it is not just sitting there taking up spaced, but is being used daily!
I wasn't actually planning an air fryer sweet potato tots recipe, however I had SO MUCH sweet potato leftover from these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes for Meal Prep that I needed a recipe to use it up in.
Basically I mixed sweet potato puree with a few spices and some Panko breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs are not essential but these guys are so much easier to handle with them, and get a lot crispier, so I definitely recommend them.
Mix your tots, form your tots and spray your tots. Bake/air fry them. That's it!
Reasons to love these sweet potato tots
- they have only 5 ingredients + spray oil
- they are ready in under 20 minutes
- kids love 'em
- they can be assembled ahead and frozen...and then cooked up from frozen! SO CONVENIENT!
- crispy and delicious
Tips for perfectly tots:
- This is the air fryer model I have
- Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to get evenly sized sweet potato tots
- Looking for more freezer-friendly snacks? Check out these Cheesy Spinach Quinoa Cups, these Healthy Baked Cauliflower Chickpea Samosas, or these 7 Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins
Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Tots
- 2 cups sweet potato puree
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs
- Spray oil
- Heat your air fryer to 390°F/ 200°C.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Form into 1 tablespoon tots (a cookie scoop helps) and arrange on 1-2 plates.
- Spray with spray oil, and move the tots around to coat the bottoms with oil as well.
- Carefully arrange tots on the air fryer basket so there is space between them. You will need to cook in 2-3 batches.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes, and carefully flip them over. If the tots feel very soft and mushy when you turn them, leave them for a few more minutes.
- Cook for 5-7 more minutes, until both sides are crispy but not burned.
- Serve immediately with guacamole, ketchup or chipotle mayo
To prep ahead and freeze
- Form tots and arrange on a baking sheet. Freeze for several hours until tots are frozen through, then transfer to a large freezer bag and remove as much air as possible.
- To cook from frozen: heat air fryer to 390°F/ 200°C.
- Spray frozen tots with spray oil, making sure to coat all sides.
- Carefully arrange tots on the air fryer basket so there is space between them. Cook for 9-10 minutes, and carefully flip them over. If the tots feel very soft and mushy when you turn them, leave them for a few more minutes.
- Cook for approximately 5 more minutes, until both sides are crispy but not burned.
- Serve immediately with guacamole, ketchup or chipotle mayo.
To bake in the oven (for frozen or thawed tots)
- Spray baking pan with oil and arrange tots. Spray tots with oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425°F.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes to get them crispy. Make sure not to use parchment paper under the broiler.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from baking sheet as they may stick when still hot.