Shortcut Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde Soup comes together with simple pantry ingredients, and may be assembled as freezer packs for easy freezer Instant Pot weeknight dinners. No pre-cooking, and packed full of delicious tomatillo, jalapeno, lime and garlic flavors!
It’s the fifth recipe in our Instant Pot series, and I hope you’re not getting sick of the word ‘Instant Pot’.
This will be the last one for a few weeks. Ben keeps trying to put it away in the closet but I keep digging it back out! I am definitely hooked.
Today’s Instant Pot chicken chile verde soup is another freezer-pack friendly recipe…since it is a no pre-cook recipe, you just toss your ingredients into the bag, squeeze as much air out as possible, and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to serve? Thaw, then dump into the pot and you are going to have a delicious, healthy dinner on your table in 30 or so minutes.
How easy is this chicken chile verde soup to prepare?
When it comes to freezer slow cooker recipes, no cook is the way to go…so I naturally wanted to apply the same strategy to my first freezer Instant Pot recipe.
Our shortcut involves using jarred tomatillo salsa versus roasting our own up. Even with this shortcut, this soup is PACKED with delicious tomatillo, jalapeno and garlic flavors.
In addition, we use canned corn, green chiles, and black beans. I almost always have these items in my pantry, so this soup is a breeze to throw together on the fly!
The Instant Pot makes this chicken chile verde soup so so easy to prepare. Simply dump the ingredients in the pot and set it for 10 minutes high pressure.
Since the Instant Pot will take 20-30 minutes to come to pressure, this soup will be ready in 30-40 minutes, however the best thing about it is how hands off it is!
Once the timer beeps, you will release the pressure, stir in some cornmeal (this brings out some more corn flavors and also thickens the soup slightly), and stir in a squeeze of lime juice.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt, fresh cilantro, and some avocado…although not pictured, it’s awesome in this Instant Pot chicken chile verde soup! We also loved tortilla chips (because who doesn’t?) and shredded cheese.
Tips for perfect Instant Pot chicken chile verde soup
- I have the 6 quart Instant Pot, but you could also prep this soup on the stove top (simmer for 20-30 minutes) or slow cooker (low for 4-6 hours)
- You can assemble all the ingredients ahead and freeze as a freezer Instant Pot meal, or cook it up and freeze the cooked chicken chile verde soup for up to 3 months
- Make sure you get tomatillo salsa and not ‘green salsa’ that has a jalapeno base (made that mistake for myself!)
- Looking for more Instant Pot chicken recipes? Check out these 7 Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes, this Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Stew and this Spicy Instant Pot Thai Chicken Curry!
Shortcut Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde Soup
- 3 chicken breasts roughly 1.5 lbs
- 1 can of black beans 540mL/ 19 oz cannellini drained and rinsed
- 1 can green chiles 127 mL/ 4.3 oz
- 1 can of corn kernels 340mL/ 11.5 oz , drained
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cup salsa verde *
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- juice of 1 lime
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- In the base of a 6 quart Instant Pot, combine all ingredients.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Release pressure immediately (10 minutes natural pressure release is fine, too).
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks.
- Stir in the cornmeal and lime juice.
- Serve with yogurt, cilantro, tortilla chips and/or shredded cheese.
To prepare freezer packs:
- Combine all ingredients except for the stock, cornmeal and lime juice in a large gallon-sized freezer-bag.
- Remove as much air as possible and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking using the directions above.