This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is heavy on the noodles, and is ready quickly thanks to the pressure cooker. With juicy chicken thighs, carrots, celery, aromatics, thyme, and egg noodles, it's classic and so comforting.
Cooking soup in the Instant Pot is so hands off- no stirring or watching for the pot to boil over, simply set it and move on with your day! We love making Instant Pot butternut squash soup, cauliflower cheese soup, and this chicken noodle soup!
Classic and comforting, this chicken noodle step skips the sauté step but not the flavor! The chicken thighs are fall apart tender and so juicy, and the broth gets flavor from thyme, garlic, bay leaves and (my little secret weapon) chicken stock concentrate (Better Than Bouillon)
I also made sure this soup is heavy on the noodles- feel free to adjust as you'd like.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons you’ll ♡ this recipe
- it's classic, cozy and will warm you right up
- it's heavy on the noodles and delivers big flavor
- we skip the sauté step so it's easy to get it cooking
- you can assemble it ahead as a freezer pack
Watch the video below for step by step instructions for cooking this recipe. You can find more recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
- chicken- I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe because they are flavorful and so juicy. You may swap for boneless skinless chicken breasts, but will need to reduce the cook time to 8 minutes with a 10 min natural pressure release.
- carrots + celery- I like to finely chop these vegetables so they scoop up easily in your spoon. It's more enjoyable to eat the soup this way!
- chicken stock concentrate- this recipe gets a flavor boost thanks to Better Than Bouillon. This adds extra flavor without the need to sauté first. Our recipe tester also had success in swapping for powdered bouillon (1 tablespoon). For bouillon cubes, we estimate you'd need 3 (however have not tested)
- stock- use store-bought chicken stock or make a batch of homemade bone broth
Step by step directions
1. Combine- Add all ingredients except noodles to the stainless steel insert of your Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
2. Cook- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and set the steam release handle in the 'sealing' position. Pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When the Instant Pot beeps, allow it to naturally depressurize (aka just let it sit) for 10 minutes, before releasing the remaining pressure.
3. Remove chicken + bay leaf- use tongs to transfer the chicken thighs to a clean bowl. Remove the bay leaves and discard.
4. Shred chicken- Use two forks or an electric hand mixer to shred the chicken into strips.
6. Cook noodles- add the egg noodles to the Instant Pot. Select the 'sauté' function, and simmer the noodles for 7-10 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the stainless steel insert from the Instant Pot to prevent the noodles from overcooking.
7. Finishing touches- return the shredded chicken to the pot. Garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!
- Noodles- this recipe is heavy on the noodles! Reduce by ¼ -½ if you like a 'soupier' chicken noodle soup
- Slow cooker- check out our Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup recipe
- Low carb- swap the noodles for zucchini noodles. Stir them in and serve right away! Keep in mind leftovers may not keep well.
The soup setting defaults to 30 minutes at high pressure, which is way too long for chicken thighs. Use the 'pressure cook' button (or 'manual' on older models) and set to 10 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
Yes, if your frozen chicken thighs are separated, you can still cook them in this soup. Increase the cook time to 12 minutes. If your thighs are stuck together, I recommend thawing partially and prying apart before adding to the soup
If you can’t find Better than Bouillon, you can use powdered bouillon. See recipe card notes.
Absolutely, however keep in mind this will likely have a different cook time.
This recipe was tested in both a 6 quart Instant Pot and an 8 quart Instant Pot. It will need to be cut in half (at least) to fit in an Instant Pot mini.
Storage + meal prep
Chicken noodle soup can be cooked ahead OR assembled ahead as freezer packs (no cooking).
- fridge- cool completely, and portion out into one large or several small meal prep containers. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- freezer- I do not recommend freezing chicken noodle soup as the noodles get very soft upon thawing.
- reheat- heat individual portions in the microwave until steaming hot. Reheat larger portions on the stove over medium heat; stir occasionally until steaming hot.
To assemble freezer packs for meal prep, you will:
- Assemble- Combine all ingredients *except for the noodles and chicken stock* in a 3 quart meal prep container or a sturdy gallon-sized freezer bag. Squeeze as much air out as possible.
- Freeze- Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
3. Thaw- Thaw for 48 hours in the fridge, accelerate the process by leaving on the counter for a few hours or immersing the bag in room temperature water (make sure your bag does not leak).
4. Cook- Dump the contents of the bag into the stainless steel insert of your Instant Pot and cook as directed. No chopping or measuring required!
More Instant Pot soups
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs roughly 7-8 small thighs or 4 large thighs; see note 1
- 4 ribs celery chopped small
- 4 carrots peeled & chopped small
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon better than bouillon chicken base; see note 2
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cups chicken stock
Add after pressure cooking
- 4 cups broad egg noodles uncooked; see note 3
- Combine- Add all ingredients except noodles to the stainless steel insert of your Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Cook- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and set the steam release handle in the ‘sealing’ position. Pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When the Instant Pot beeps, allow it to naturally depressurize (aka just let it sit) for 10 minutes, before releasing the remaining pressure.
- Remove chicken + bay leaf- use tongs to transfer the chicken thighs to a clean bowl. Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Shred chicken- Use two forks or an electric hand mixer to shred the chicken into strips.
- Cook noodles- add the egg noodles to the Instant Pot. Select the ‘sauté’ function, and simmer the noodles for 7-10 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the stainless steel insert from the Instant Pot to prevent the noodles from overcooking.
- Serve- return the shredded chicken to the pot. Garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.