Easy tofu tacos that have the BEST texture and are ready in 15 minutes. These vegan tacos would work great for meal prep or an easy weeknight dinner.
We are always looking for new vegan recipes that the whole family enjoys and these tofu tacos are our newest obsession!
After a few experiments, I found the way to get the best texture out of the tofu, and it ended up pretty similar to ground meat.
Not only are these vegan tacos delicious, but they are super simple to prepare. They are ready for dinner in just 15 minutes!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
These tofu tacos are
- filling but not heavy
- ready in 15 minutes, and don’t require pressing the tofu out
- perfect for meal prep, the texture holds up well
How to make vegan tacos
I played around with a few different methods for getting the best texture out of your tofu taco ‘meat’, and here’s what I ended up with:
- mash up your tofu (no need to press!)
- spread it out on a sturdy sheet pan
- broil for 3-5 minutes, stirring every minute or so
- toss the tofu with tomato sauce (not ketchup) and taco seasoning in a pan until completely coated
- enjoy in tortillas with salsa, crunchy greens, and avocado slices
Can I prep this tofu taco recipe ahead? Sure, you can cook the tofu taco meat ahead and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the pan until warmed through and serve. I bet it would work great in my favorite taco salad recipe, which keeps for meal prep.
Can I use store bought taco seasoning? Yes. This recipe calls for my homemade taco seasoning but you can absolutely swap for store bought in a pinch!
Do I need to press the tofu for this tofu taco recipe? The best part about this recipe is you do not need to press the tofu. From start to finish, this is a fast recipe, ready in just 15 minutes!
What are some other ways to serve this tofu taco meat?
- swap the toppings (fresh tomatoes, cucumber and cabbage are personal faves)
- add some cheese or greek yogurt (if you are not vegan)
- serve it in taco salad form
- bake the tofu taco meat up as taquitos (find baking directions in this baked beef taquitos recipe)
- enjoy it in these Turkey Taco Lunch Bowls
Tips & equipment for tofu taco meat
Easy Tofu Tacos (15 Minutes!)
- 12 oz block extra firm tofu (350 g)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (not ketchup)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (homemade or store bought)
- 8 small tortillas (or taco shells)
- 4 cups cole slaw mix (or lettuce)
- 2 avocados (sliced)
- Heat broiler up.
- Mash tofu into crumbles in a bowl, then spread on a large baking sheet.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, stirring the tofu up every 1-2 minutes, until it is golden and slightly crunchy. Some small bits might brown and that's OK.
- When tofu texture is where you want it, remove from the oven.
- In a frying pan, stir together the tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Heat over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, until completely combined.
- Toss the tofu crumbles in the sauce.
- Assemble your tacos and enjoy!