Air fryer cauliflower chickpea tacos are a fresh, flavorful, and healthy dinner to get on your table quickly. Vegan, clean eating and easily made gluten-free.
The air fryer just might be tied with our Instant Pot as ‘most loved’ and ‘most used’ appliance of 2018.
While we initially bought the air fryer to make crispy, delicious ‘fried’ food, we have quickly realized it has some other perks: no need to heat up the oven (it also pre-heats a heck of a lot faster than the oven), cooks food quickly, and makes food taste deeeelish.
In the case of these air fryer cauliflower chickpea tacos, the cauliflower and chickpeas don’t get crispy per se (for truly crispy chickpeas check out these Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas), but they do get that delicious, nutty roasted flavor that you get from the oven, just a whole lot faster!
Not only are these cauliflower chickpeas fast to prep, but they are vegan too! Perfect for if you want to combine Meatless Monday with Taco Tuesday 😉
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
How to make them
You know when it comes to dinner, I try to make things as easy as possible, and for this recipe, all you need to do is:
- Toss the chickpeas and cauliflower in some olive oil and taco seasoning. You can use store-bought taco seasoning or make your own.
- Transfer them to the basket of your air fryer (this is the air fryer model I have), and cook for 20 minutes.
- Shake the basket a few times during cooking and keep an eye at the end so you get that perfect ‘browned but not burnt’ cauliflower
- Serve with fresh cabbage and avocado, and drizzle with coconut yogurt (for vegan) or regular yogurt (for vegetarian).
Ta da! That’s it. Could it be any easier? I think not.
Can I prep the taco filling ahead? Yes! You can store the taco filling before or after cooking for 2-3 days. When you are ready to cook, simply toss it all back up, then into the basket. If you have already cooked the filling, it will reheat quickly (check at 5 minutes), and if you haven’t already cooked it, follow the cook time on the recipe card.
Can I make these gluten-free/paleo/low carb? For sure! To make them GF, make sure you use corn tortillas. For paleo, swap the chickpeas for extra cauliflower, and use a paleo-friendly tortilla like Siete. For low carb you may have to go the extra mile and make your own low carb tortillas (unless you know of some good low carb tortilla brands, in which case, please let me know which ones!)
Can I make these in the oven? Yes! You can follow the same prep directions, then bake at 425°F for 20-30 minutes.
- This is the air fryer model I have
- you can use one of these seven seasoning blends to add different flavors to the chickpeas
- Looking for more air fryer recipes? Check out these Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Tots, these Thai Salmon Patties, or this post on How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Breast
Air Fryer Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos
- 4 cups cauliflower florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 19 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 small tortillas
- 2 avocados sliced
- 4 cups cabbage shredded
- coconut yogurt to drizzle
- Pre-heat air fryer to 390°F/ 200°C.
- In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower and chickpeas with the olive oil and taco seasoning.
- Dump everything into the basket of your air fryer.
- Cook in the air fryer, shaking the basket occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Cauliflower will be golden but not burnt.
- Serve in tacos with avocado slices, cabbage and coconut yogurt (or regular yogurt).