Air fryer zucchini fries are coated with a crispy parmesan panko breading and are the perfect way to use up summer zucchini!
I’ve been having so much fun playing around with my air fryer ever since we bought it in December!
Not only is the air fryer an awesome way to get crispy food with little to no oil, but it is a really awesome alternative to the oven (which I am trying to keep off in the heat these days!). It heats up quicker than the oven and also cooks your food faster, too!
I’m super excited to share these air fryer zucchini fries with you, because they were just a fun little experiment for dinner one night, but it turned into love at first bite. Ben told me I absolutely had to put these up on the blog.
So here we go!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
How to make air fryer zucchini fries
This zucchini fries recipe is really similar to my Crispy Parmesan Baked Green Bean Fries…in fact I can’t wait to try those green bean fries in the air fryer!
- Flour- It starts with a thin coating of flour. The flour is important as it helps the egg stick in step 2. I believe you could probably swap for gluten free flours or even low carb flours but I haven’t tried. Tap the zucchini sticks to get rid of excess flour.
- Egg- Dunk your flour-coated zucchini sticks in a couple of beaten eggs! The egg wash is important to help the breading stick in step three. My friend Izzy has used aquafaba as an egg alternative in her Egg Free Crispy Baked Green Bean Fries, and I bet that would work for these zucchini fries as well!
- Breading- aka: where all that flayvah comes from! The last step is to roll your zucchini fries around in amix of parmesan cheese, panko, garlic salt and a bit of pepper. This brings alllll the yum to these air fryer zucchini fries!
Once you’ve done steps 1-3, simply cook your zucchini fries in your air fryer for 5-7 minutes, or until crispy. You may need to work in batches because you need to leave space around the fries for them to get nice and crispy.
What can I dip my zucchini fries in? We loved ours dipped in ketchup! I know parmesan & ketchup don’t sound great together but they really were. I bet marinara sauce would also be awesome! Otherwise you could make a creamy dip, like the dressing for this Southwestern Kale Chickpea Salad.
Can I prepare these zucchini fries ahead? I haven’t tried breading them and storing them pre-cooking, but I can tell you that leftovers were just as good as fresh once reheated in the air fryer (3 or so minutes until crispy and heated through). We stored our leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days before reheating.
Can I bake these in the oven? Yes! Simply pre-heat to 425°F and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- This is the air fryer model I have
- I recommend freshly grated parmesan cheese
- looking for more air fryer recipes? Check out this air fryer chicken breast these air fryer chicken tenders and these healthy homemade frozen chicken strips, these air fryer sweet potato tots, or these air fryer salmon patties,
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- 2 zucchinis cut into 1/2 inch x 3 inch matchsticks
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Panko
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- Heat air fryer to 390°F/ 200 °C.
- Place flour, eggs, and Panko mixture in three separate shallow bowls.
- Dredge zucchini in flour, then eggs, then Panko mixture.
- Working in batches of 8-10 fries (or a single layer in the air fryer), cook in the air fryer for 5-7 minutes, until crispy.
- Serve with ketchup or caesar dressing.