Air fryer zucchini fries are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Coated with a crispy parmesan panko breading, they are the perfect way to use up extra zucchini!
Coated with a mixture of Panko and parmesan cheese, these air fryer zucchini fries have the absolute best texture: super crispy on the outside, yet soft on the inside. Perfect served up with some healthy ranch dressing!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
You're going to ♡ this recipe because
- they have the best texture: ultra crispy on the outside, yet soft on the inside
- the air fryer cooks them quickly in just 5-7 minutes
- they taste delicious and make for a healthier snack option
Watch the video below to see how I make air fryer zucchini fries! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
- zucchini- zucchini fries are easiest to make with straight zucchini; cut them into ½ inch wide by 3 inch long sticks.
- flour- all purpose flour helps the eggs stick to the zucchini; you could swap for whole wheat but alternative flours have not been tested
- Panko- these are Japanese seasoned breadcrumbs and they have a large, coarse texture that gives these fries such a crispy texture. Find them in the grocery store near the regular breadcrumbs.
- Parmesan- I recommend freshly grated parmesan cheese as it adds the best flavor
- garlic salt- you can swap for ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon salt.
Step by step directions
1. Prepare breading- In three shallow bowls add:
- all purpose flour
- beaten egg
- mixture of Panko, parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper
2. Bread the zucchini fries- working in batches, coat the zucchini matchsticks first in flour, then in the egg (shaking off excess), finally in the panko mixture. Arrange on a clean plate and repeat until they are all coated.
3. Cook- Preheat air fryer to 390°F/200°C. Arrange zucchini fries in the basket or on the tray so that they are not overlapping or touching. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown. No need to flip them! Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches until they are all cooked through.
We loved ours dipped in ketchup! I know parmesan & ketchup don't sound great together but they really were. I bet marinara sauce would also be awesome! Otherwise you could make a creamy dip, like the dressing for this Healthier Caesar Dressing.
I haven't tried breading the zucchini fries and storing them pre-cooking, but I can tell you that leftovers were just as good as fresh once reheated in the air fryer (3 or so minutes until crispy and heated through). We stored our leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days before reheating.
Yes! Simply pre-heat to 425°F and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Storage & reheating
Storage- Cool completely, then store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
To reheat- heat the air fryer to 390°F, and arrange the zucchini fries in the basket. Spritz with spray oil, and heat for 3 minutes, or until crisped back up and warmed through.
Air fryer models
This recipe was tested in this Phillips basket-style air fryer. When using different models, cook times may vary, so use your best judgment and adjust the cook time as needed!
Confused by all the air fryer models out there? Check out Which Air Fryer is Best for you
More air fryer recipes
- air fryer chicken tenders
- air fryer cauliflower wings
- crispy air fryer potato wedges
- crispy air fryer eggplant
☆ Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear how it turned out! Leave me a review and star rating in the comments below. Your reviews help so much!
Crispy Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- 2 zucchinis cut into ½ inch x 3 inch matchsticks
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt see note 1
- pepper to taste
- Prepare breading- In three shallow bowls add:all purpose flourbeaten eggmixture of Panko, parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper
- Bread the zucchini fries- working in batches, coat the zucchini matchsticks first in flour, then in the egg (shaking off excess), finally in the panko mixture. Arrange on a clean plate and repeat until they are all coated.
- Cook- Preheat air fryer to 390°F. Arrange zucchini fries in the basket or on the tray so that they are not overlapping or touching. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown. No need to flip them! Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches until they are all cooked through.
- Serve with dip- ketchup, ranch or caesar dressing are delicious options.