29 Crockpot freezer meals make for the most effortless weeknight dinners...just dump them into the slow cooker and set the timer! These ideas will help you stock up your freezer with tacos, soups, chili, fajitas, curry, and more!
Once you've learned the basics of how to meal prep and read up on our budget-friendly meal prep tricks - you're likely feeling inspired to stock your freezer with some easy crockpot freezer meals!
These life-saving crockpot freezer meals are only of my all-time favorite ways to meal prep! Not only are these meals perfect for busy weeknight dinners, but they are also ideal for expecting parents looking to stock the freezer for those early newborn days.
Reasons You'll Love These Recipes
- they are so easy to prepare - just wash, chop, and freeze for later!
- you can quickly prep a large freezer stash of healthy and delicious meals
- you'll save so much time and $$ with these simple, budget friendly meals
What is a Crockpot Freezer Meal?
Crockpot freezer meals are one of our favorite meal prep options - because they are so easy! Simply combine the ingredients in a freezer bag or container, freeze, and thaw when you're ready to cook. The ease of dumping your prepped ingredients into the slow cooker, pushing the button, and walking away, is just so amazing! No chopping or no cooking; just dump, press the button, and you're on your way to dinner!
How to prepare crockpot freezer meals - chop, measure, and portion out all ingredients. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and cook as directed in the recipe.
Cooking Tip - Meals containing meat must be thawed before cooking. Vegetarian or vegan meals may be cooked from frozen.
Quick tips for easy freezer meals
- for max efficiency - pick recipes that have no pre-cooking, use pre-chopped veggies (frozen is great), get an assembly line going
- for best taste - eat within 3 months
- for organization - always label your containers, group similar meals in same location (ie: chicken marinades on one shelf, freezer crockpot on another, etc), upright freezers are 1000x more easy to organize than chest freezers, take stock of your freezer regularly and eat those meals
- Batch prep - prep meals with similar or overlapping ingredients, so you can chop/trim/measure your ingredients all at once.
- Double or triple up on the recipes for maximum output for your efforts...they are good for up to 3 months in the freezer!
- Soups & stews - you can leave out stock/water/coconut milk until cook day, to prevent over-filling the bags.
- Efficiency - Use these handy baggy holders to hold your bags open, and I recommend a good quality gallon freezer bag to reduce risk of leakage during the freeze/thaw process.
- Freshness - Potatoes may brown during the freeze/thaw process. If this bothers you, consider adding them on cook day.
- For Mother Earth - avoid plastic waste by using large meal prep containers, or reusable silicone bags (the ½ gallon silicone bags are a good size for freezer crockpot meals and the sandwich size silicone bags or stasher bags are great for chicken marinades)
Vegetarian meals *should* be fine to cook from frozen, but anything with meat must be thawed before cooking. This is because slow cooker brands cannot guarantee that the internal temperature of the meat will get hot enough to kill off harmful bacteria. Translation- you could be putting your family at risk for food poisoning.
I have a general 3 month rule for the freezer as I feel this keeps the food tasting better, and helps prevent things from getting lost in the freezer. However they would technically be safe indefinitely (they just might not taste as good when stored for longer).
Maybe? The only thing to worry about is whether you have enough thin liquid to create pressure in an Instant Pot. Check the directions on each recipe to see if there are Instant Pot directions.
Leave a Comment