This crockpot taco soup recipe is a hearty but healthy soup loaded with your favorite taco ingredients and flavors! No sauteeing and crockpot ready in just 15 minutes.
Like my favorite Smoky Turkey Chili, this crockpot taco soup recipe is hearty, but good for you and perfect for colder weather.
Minimal prep work and simple ingredients makes this taco soup crockpot recipe ready to cook in just 15 minutes, and it can cook for up to 8 hours, which makes it a great dinner on those busy days when you are out of the house or running around all day.
And this recipe is SUPER meal prep-friendly: assemble ahead and freeze as a freezer crockpot meal OR cook ahead and freeze for easy meals later.
Why you’ll ♡ this crockpot taco soup recipe
- no sauteeing, minimal prep work, and it’s into the slow cooker in 15 minutes or less
- meal prep-friendly: assemble ingredients and freeze pre- or post- cooking!
- healthy, hearty, and so tasty
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Let’s make this taco soup crockpot recipe!
This is such an easy recipe to prepare. First, we will gather our ingredients for this taco soup crockpot recipe:
- lean ground beef- or swap for ground turkey
- canned ingredients– black beans, corn, green chiles and diced tomatoes (or rotel for a real kick!)
- fresh ingredients– diced red onion and bell peppers
- spices– taco seasoning (make my homemade taco seasoning for a cleaner recipe or use store-bought as a shortcut!)
- broth– I used my homemade bone broth but you can use store-bought chicken stock
Step one- place the beef in the bottom of the slow cooker and break it up into smaller pieces
- we are not sauteeing the beef, but if you would prefer, you can do this first!
- avoid fatty cuts of beef unless you plan to sautee first and drain off fat. Lean ground beef and ground turkey are good ones to use.
Step two- add all other ingredients! Yes, it really is ridiculously simple to throw together which makes this recipe a great one for meal prep Sunday.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
How to meal prep this easy taco soup?
You can meal prep this recipe in one of two ways:
- Freezer crockpot– assemble all ingredients except the broth in a large meal prep container (I like the 3 quart ones from Ikea!), gallon-sized reusable silicone bag, or gallon-size freezer bag.
- squeeze out air, and freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- thaw completely, and cook in the slow cooker as directed (low 6-8 hours)
- Cook ahead– alternatively, you can cook up this slow cooker taco soup, cool, portion out and freeze. I like freezing my soups in 1 quart mason jars (leave 1/4 empty and lids ajar to account for expansion) or these reusable plastic freezer jars.
- thaw, transfer to a bowl, then reheat in the microwave until steaming hot
But wait…isn’t it bad to not sautee the beef first? I thought this too, but decided to give it a try, and honestly? We didn’t notice it at all. The texture of the beef was slightly less ‘chewy’ than it normally would be and it clumped together a little less than if we had sauteed it first. If you would prefer to sautee first, you should do that!
Can I cook slow cooker taco soup in the Instant Pot? I bet you could, but I haven’t tried. I would guess 5 minutes high pressure with 10 minutes of natural pressure release before releasing the rest. Let me know in the comments if you give it a try!
Can I make this slow cooker taco soup lower carb? Sure, leave out the black beans and corn. You might want to double up on the ground beef.
Can I make this recipe vegan? Yes, I would leave out the beef, double up the beans, and swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock. I bet that would be delicious! You might also want to check out my Vegan Crockpot Chili!
Tips & equipment for slow cooker taco soup
- I used my trusty 6 quart slow cooker
- to freeze as a freezer to crockpot meal, I use either a 3 quart glass container from Ikea or a gallon-sized reusable silicone bag
- to freeze after cooking, I use 1 quart mason jars or these reusable plastic freezer jars
- Looking for more slow cooker soup recipes? Check out this Thai Slow Cooker Chicken & Wild Rice Soup, this Slow Cooker African Peanut Stew or this round-up with 42 Healthy Crockpot Soup Recipes
Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 19 oz can of diced tomatoes (540 mL; include juices)
- 4.3 oz can of green chiles (127 mL)
- 11.5 oz can of corn kernels (340mL; drained)
- 19 oz can of black beans (540 mL; drained & rinsed)
- 3 cup chicken stock (or homemade bone broth)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- In the base of a 6 quart slow cooker, place the ground beef. Use a spatula to break it up into small pieces.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Mix, then add the lid.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with suggested toppings.
- Leftovers may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
To assemble as a freezer crockpot meal
- Add all ingredients except for broth/stock to a large meal prep container, reusable silicone bag, or sturdy gallon-sized freezer bag. Squeeze as much air out as possible and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.