Make these chicken fajita lunch bowls for healthy lunches through the week! Inspired by a Mexican bean salad, this recipe combines bell peppers, baked chicken breast and rice with a delicious fajita-vinaigrette.
Meal prep is essential in reducing our meal time stress, saving us money, and helping us eat healthier. Some of our go-to lunches include turkey taco lunch bowls or Buddha bowls, as well as these chicken fajita lunch bowls!
With healthy vegetables, protein and carbs, this is a complete and filling lunch that will fuel your body into the afternoon.
These lunch bowls are easy to prep, and taste great even on day four!
Reasons to ♡ these chicken fajita lunch bowls
- this recipe makes 4 hearty lunch portions
- they are eaten cold like a salad
- you can easily make a vegan version
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Ingredients you’ll need
- chicken breasts – with olive oil, salt and pepper to prepare; swap for boneless skinless chicken thighs if you’d like
- basmati rice – this is my favorite rice to use because of the low glycemic index, but feel free to use your favorite rice or alternative grain
- veggies – fresh yellow, red and orange bell peppers, red onion, and corn kernels for the perfect fajita flavors and crunch
- vinaigrette – a spice-filled dressing made with chili powder, paprika, cumin, sugar, lime juice, salt, olive oil, and white wine vinegar
- cook and cool your rice before assembling- grab the recipe for perfect, fluffy rice here!
- feel free to play around with the veggies: try roasting them first, use your favorite vegetables
- this is a cold salad recipe. If you’re looking for a warm meal prep fajita recipe check out these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
- you can store these lunch bowls in the fridge for up to 4 days, but I do not recommend freezing
- enjoy these cold or warmed up
Rice safety tips
Rice can be cooked ahead and stored in the fridge for up to 4-6 days when stored properly (source), though I personally have a ‘4-day’ rule.
- cool and get it into the fridge within 2 hours and do not leave it out at room temperature for extended amounts of time
- if heating, heat it until steaming hot and only reheat once
Can I make this low carb?
Swap the basmati rice with protein-rich quinoa for a low(er) carb option.
How do I make vegan fajita bowls?
Substitute chicken breasts for black beans or portobello mushrooms to create a delicious vegetarian and vegan-friendly version.
Which toppings do you recommend?
I love enjoying these chicken fajita lunch bowls with a squeeze of fresh lime, guacamole or a few sprigs of fresh cilantro.
I love it when you leave me a comment listing the modifications you made to the recipe. Here are how some readers changed these chicken fajita lunch bowls up and made them their own:
- reader Kelsey added chipotle chile powder and fresh chopped jalapenos
- reader Becky sauteed the onion, red pepper & corn in a little olive oil & served it hot w/a little Mexican cheese & sour cream (vinaigrette on the side)
- reader Louise marinated the chicken in a Mojo marinade and added cilantro to the rice
- reader Catie made hers vegetarian with black beans instead of chicken and served with mango salsa
Looking for more lunch prep recipes? Try:
- 46 Meal Prep Lunch Ideas
- Honey Sesame Chicken Lunch Bowls
- Maple Ginger Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Portobello Fajita Vegan Meal Prep
- Cold Sesame Noodle Meal Prep Bowls
Wondering how this recipe comes together? Watch this 1-minute video to see how easy it is to prep! You can find more recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
(Make Ahead) Chicken Fajita Lunch Bowls
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts roughly 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup basmati rice uncooked
- 2 bell peppers sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Place the chicken breasts in a small baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Turn to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn the chicken, then bake for another 10-15 minutes (depends on the size of your chicken breasts), until cooked through.
- Allow to rest for 10 more minutes before slicing.
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, bell peppers, red onion and corn.
- Shake together the vinaigrette and add to the bowl. Toss to coat everything completely.
- Divide amongst 4 lunch containers, topping with the chicken.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.