These meal prep pesto chicken pita pockets will be the envy of your office! Roasted chicken and veggies are tossed in pesto and served in a pita pocket.
Hiiii friends, I’m late here this week!
I’ve been super duper busy running our Lunch Prep Challenge (you can still join us!) and wrangling a cabin fever-ridden three year old (we’re so done with this ridiculously cold weather, you hear Mother Nature?!)
But I’m here today, and I’m sharing an easy, tasty, easy, versatile, easy meal prep lunch recipe. Pesto chicken pita pockets! Did I mention it’s eeeeasy?!
If you are participating in our Lunch Prep Challenge, these meal prep pesto chicken pita pockets will look awfully familiar to you, and that’s because it was our recipe for week 1!
Now some people in the challenge wanted some variety in their lunches for the week, and I brainstormed some alternative ways to serve this recipe.
So today I actually have two lunch meal prep recipes, each centred off the same base of the recipe: chicken + roasted veggies.
What’s the deal with these meal prep pesto chicken pita pockets? Well, they’re easy. Like ridiculously easy.
Roast up your chicken & veggies. Cool. Toss in some pesto. And portion out for the week. I told you they were easy ;).
NOTE: while the pictures above show chicken cut into chunks prior to baking, I recommend baking your chicken breasts whole, then slicing into strips.
Don’t cut or fill your pitas until just before you serve, that way they will be fresher on day 4.
If you don’t want to eat the same thing all week? Simple fix! Serve the (pesto-free) chicken & veggies over 1/3-1/2 cup cooked grains with a sprinkling of feta and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. Voila. 4 lunches, 2 ways in under an hour.
Still need more proof? I made a video for us!
Meal Prep Pesto Chicken Pita Pockets
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces; see *notes)
- 1/2 red onion (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 bell peppers (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 zucchini (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 4 pita pockets (sturdy)
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Toss the chicken and veggies with olive oil and salt & pepper, and arrange on 1-2 sheet pans.
- Roast for 10 minutes, flip everything and return to the oven.
- Cook the veggies for 5-10 more minutes, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Place roasted chicken and vegetables in a large bowl with the pesto, stir to coat.
- Spoon into pita halves and enjoy.
- Pre-chop: Vegetables & chicken may be pre-chopped up to 4 days ahead (check the expiry date on chicken to make sure this storage time is OK).
- Pre-cook: Follow through step 5, and allow filling to cool. Portion out into four 2 cup meal prep containers and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Re-heat filling until steaming hot.
- Don't cut the pita in half until just prior to serving. Open the pocket and spoon filling into the pocket.