These blueberry pancakes are fluffy, mildly sweet, and made with wholesome ingredients. Bursting with juicy fresh blueberries and zesty lemon flavor, they are sure to be your new favorite pancake recipe.
Just like lemon ricotta pancakes, and fluffy protein pancakes - these fluffy blueberry pancakes are definitely a "keeper recipe"!
These fluffy blueberry pancakes are a one-bowl recipe that is so simple to mix up, yet absolutely delicious!
We love cooking up a large batch to freeze leftovers for easy breakfasts or snacks throughout the week. Just pop them in the toaster to reheat, and enjoy with a drizzle of maple strup!
reasons you'll love this recipe
- they are refined sugar free and made with wholesome ingredients
- you can make them ahead and freeze
- they are a total crowd-pleaser - kids and grown ups alike love them!
- Eggs - we have not tested these pancakes with flax eggs; if you give it a try, we'd love to hear how your pancakes turn out!
- Maple syrup- for a touch of sweetness; swap for an equal amount of honey or your favorite liquid sweetener.
- Coconut oil - is essential to provide moisture to the pancakes; I recommend using refined coconut oil. You can swap for melted butter or olive oil
- Milk - use either regular dairy milk or swap for homemade buttermilk extra rich and fluffy pancakes. Non-dairy milk works great as well.
- White whole wheat flour - could be swapped for all-purpose flour if you don't have white whole wheat on hand. Regular whole wheat flour can be used if mixed in with all purpose (50/50 of each).
- Lemon zest - adds a burst of fresh lemon flavor
- Blueberries - we suggest using fresh; frozen blueberries may be used but they will turn the batter purple
step by step directions
mix wet ingredients
Melt coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir in the maple syrup, milk, vanilla extract, and eggs. If the coconut oil solidifies, pop it back into the microwave and heat in 20-second increments.
add dry ingredients
Stir in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda until just combined (do not over-mix). Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries.
Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Cook ¼ cup-sized pancakes; cook for around 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second side, or until golden and cooked through.
Enjoy pancakes with extra berries and maple syrup.
Yes, you absolutely can. The frozen blueberries do turn the batter a purple color but they taste amazing!
Unfortunately, we tested with almond flour and they did not turn out. Other gluten-free options have not been tested, but a 1:1 all purpose gluten-free flour *might* work--drop us a comment if you try!
This recipe would need to be modified considerably to be baked up. See these sheet pan pancakes instead!
Tips for Flipping Pancakes
- use a non-stick pan (and don’t over-crowd it with too many pancakes! Three ¼ cup pancakes in a 12-inch pan is my limit)
- make small pancakes- I stick to ¼ cup, as even ⅓ cup become too wide and challenging for me to flip
- wait until you see bubbles in the middle of the pancake and the edges start to dry out a bit
- test by slipping your spatula under the side of the pancake. If it sticks to the batter, the pancakes need longer
- the first pancake is a tester- don’t stress if it gets ruined. Your temperature may need to be adjusted, your pancake batter may need to sit a few minutes to thicken, etc.
- get the timing down- once the temperature of the pan is stabilized, set a timer so you know roughly how long the next few batches of pancakes will take.
storage + meal prep
These fluffy blueberry pancakes store and reheat really well for meal prep:
- fridge - cool completely on a wire rack. Stack pancakes in an air-tight meal prep container, then store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- freezer- see our step by step instructions for how to freeze pancakes!
- reheat- you can place pancakes in the toaster (this works best with thick/sturdy pancakes), or reheat over medium heat in a frying pan. I bet they'd reheat great in the air fryer, too! Try 350°F for 2-3 minutes.
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
- ¼ cup coconut oil 52 g
- ¼ cup maple syrup 78 g; honey may be swapped
- 1 cup milk 232 g; non dairy milk works
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour 250 g; fluffed, spooned & levelled; all purpose flour may be used
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen; see *
- Mix wet ingredients - Melt coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir in the maple syrup, milk, vanilla extract, and eggs. If the coconut oil solidifies, pop it back into the microwave and heat in 20-second increments.
- Combine - Stir in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda until just combined (do not over-mix). Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries.
- Cook - Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Cook ¼ cup-sized pancakes; cook for around 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second side, or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve - Enjoy pancakes with extra berries and maple syrup.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment