How to freeze pancakes for easy reheat breakfasts! Step by step directions and our best tips for freezing + storing pancakes without freezer burn.
From perfect protein pancakes to our popular 7 homemade pancake recipes - we sure do love pancakes! Now, you can freeze your favorite pancake recipe and have an easy and delicious breakfast ready in minutes - any day of the week.
There's nothing like a delicious fluffy stack of pancakes for Sunday morning brunch (or even for dinner!), topped with maple syrup and fresh berries!
Now, you can have pancakes whenever the craving strikes - by stocking up the freezer with a batch of your favorite pancake recipe! We're sharing how to freeze pancakes, tips on how to avoid freezer burn, how to reheat, and answering your FAQs.
reasons to freeze your pancakes
- it's not much effort to double a batch and freeze half.
- freezing pancakes cuts down on prep time significantly
- they reheat to fluffy pancake perfection in the microwave or toaster
Watch the video below to see how to freeze pancakes! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Equipment + Things You'll Need
- Your favorite pancake recipe - check out 7 homemade pancake recipes for some of our faves!
- Cookie cooling rack
- Silicone freezer bag or large meal prep containers
- Erasable food labels to note the date
Step by step directions
Cool pancakes completely on a wire rack.
Flash freeze pancakes on wire rack or cookie sheet for 1-2 hours.
Place in a freezer bag or meal prep container.
Tip: for long-term storage (1-3 months): wrap in plastic, wax, or parchment paper. For short-term storage (up to 1 month), there's no need to wrap the pancakes.
Storing pancake batter overnight in the fridge usually works quite well! You will want to use it up within the next day though, since there are raw eggs in most pancake batters, and the baking powder may lose its rising powder as it sits.
While we haven't tried, this article suggests that it works perfectly well!
We've frozen all pancake recipes on the blog with success. We've noticed that pancakes containing protein powder do tend to dry out a touch upon thawing, but it's nothing that can't be helped with a drizzle of syrup!
We have so many! Ultimate breakfast burritos, healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches, breakfast quesadillas, and breakfast egg muffins are just a few of our favorite freezer friendly breakfast options.
- Microwave - Pop frozen pancakes in the microwave and heat on 30-second increments. Flip halfway.
- Toaster - Or, pop frozen pancakes in the toaster and heat for 1-2 minutes (watching carefully that they don't get too crispy).
- Oven - Useful if reheating a large number of pancakes for a crowd (or sheet pan pancakes)! Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Place pancakes on a baking sheet, and cover with foil to ensure they don't dry out. Heat for 10 minutes, until completely warmed through.
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
How to Freeze Pancakes
- 12 pancakes cooked
- Cool- Cool pancakes completely on a wire rack.
- Freeze- Flash freeze pancakes on rack or cookie sheet for 1-2 hours.
- Store- Place in a freezer bag or meal prep container and freeze for up to 3 months (note 1)
- for short term (up to 1 month) storage, no need to wrap the pancakes. For long term (2-3 months) storage, wrap pancakes in plastic, parchment or wax paper.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment