These healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches are so much healthier than the drive thru! Packed with veggies and ridiculously easy to make.
Can we start the weekend over? I wasn't ready.
That's how I feel every Monday. Except today, I have a little more pep in my step (considering...MONDAY), and it's all thanks to these healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches.
I have only just discovered that breakfast sandwiches don't have to come from a drive-thru and they also don't have to be full of processed ingredients. Say what?!
Eating one of these beauties was a pretty awesome way to start my week.
These healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches came about thanks to a discussion about breakfast sandwiches in our breakfast prep challenge.
My curiosity was piqued and I had to try making my own breakfast sandwiches....just to see. And not only were they tasty but they were RIDICULOUSLY easy to make.
Not only that but you can totally customize the egg portion, and load it up with veggies. For these freezer breakfast sandwiches I combined finely chopped broccoli and spinach with some feta cheese, and topped with a slice of havarti. Breakfast heaven.
So friend, how easy are these freezer breakfast sandwiches to make? Beat together your eggs, milk, salt, feta, and veggies. For the sandwiches pictured, I used broccoli & spinach. Bake up for 20-25 minutes. Cool.
Other delicious variations?
- 3 cups spinach (no broccoli)
- 1.5 cups spinach, 1.5 cups sliced mushrooms
I'm only just getting started with these babies. I'll keep you posted on other flavor variations, but I definitely plan on testing some sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and leeks.
Which other flavors do you want to see? I'd love suggestions in the comments or via e-mail 🙂
Once your eggs have cooled completely, you can cut them into circles (as pictured above), but you'll end up with scraps. I actually prefer to cut them into squares. That's what I do these days. No scraps and just as tasty!
Then assemble your sandwiches, wrap in baggies, and freeze until you're ready for a healthy, filling and not to mention, TASTY breakfast!
Because on Mondays (and to be honest, every morning for me), an easy breakfast is just what you need.
Tips & equipment for freezer breakfast sandwiches
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup feta crumbled
- 1 ½ cups spinach chopped (loosely packed)
- 1 ½ cups broccoli chopped finely
- 4 slices havarti or mozzarella
- 4 whole wheat english muffins
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 8x8 inch baking dish with spray oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk together. Fold in the spinach, broccoli, salt and feta. Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through (center should not jiggle).
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into 4 circles (using a glass or measuring cup) or into 4 squares.
- Assemble the sandwiches: one serving of egg with a slice of cheese between the english muffin.
- Wrap each sandwich in a small ziplock bag, and store in the fridge (up to 4 days) or in the freezer (up to 3 months)
- Thaw overnight in the fridge (if frozen).
- Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds to heat through.
- Crisp up in the frying pan or on a George Foreman grill.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.