Stock up the freezer with these tasty tortilla chicken strips for an easy weeknight dinner. You can bake them from frozen, and they are perfect served on a salad!
Keeping my freezer stocked with ready to cook chicken options is always part of my dinner game plan. We have at least one of these freezer chicken marinades and these slow cooker chicken breast recipes on hand at all times! Another great option is these tortilla chicken strips.
Just like your favorite chicken strips from the frozen foods aisle, these tortilla chicken strips can be baked from frozen, and means dinner can get on the table in 20 minutes or less!
They are crispy, full of flavor, and perfect served with or on a salad. Bonus? The kids love them too!
Reasons you’ll ♡ these tortilla chicken strips
- freezer friendly and bake up from frozen
- super crispy and flavorful
- kid-friendly and perfect on a salad
Let’s talk ingredients
This is a super simple ‘recipe’, that you can mix and match to make it your own! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken Breast- can swap for boneless chicken thighs but you may need to increase the cooking time
- Flour- helps the egg stick to the chicken. Gluten-free flour or almond flour may also work
- Egg- help the tortilla chips stick
- Tortilla Chips- gives the chicken a ton of crunchy texture and flavor, you can use flavored chips for extra flavor or gluten-free chips
Meal prep tips
- reheat- can be cooked ahead and reheated (uncovered, 350°F until crispy and heated through)
- air fryer– would probably be great in the air fryer! (check out my air fryer chicken tenders and try the same cook temp + time to start)
- freezer– place on a baking sheet, freeze solid before transferring to a bag or container
see my shop for my favorite containers and freezer equipment!
Can I skip the tortilla chips?
Sure! Check out this version that uses Panko breadcrumbs instead.
Can I freeze these?
Yes, and you can bake them directly from frozen.
What goes well with tortilla chicken strips?
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Wild Rice Salad
- Black Bean + Corn Salad
- Healthy Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Loaded Mexican Kale Salad
- Taco Salad
Lime Tortilla Chicken Strips
- 2 chicken breasts (roughly 1 lb)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 cups tortilla chip crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 limes (zested)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Heat oven to 375°F. Prepare 1-2 baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1.5-inch wide strips.
- Place in three separate shallow bowls 1) the flour, 2) the eggs, and 3) combine the tortilla chip crumbs, salt, lime zest and chili powder.
- Working in batches of 2-3 strips, first roll in the flour. Tap gently to remove excess.
- Dredge in the egg, then in the tortilla mixture. Arrange on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for another 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Follow steps 3-5 above.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours, then transfer the chicken strips into a large plastic bag.
- To bake from frozen: Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When oven is heated, arrange the chicken strips on the baking sheet, leaving a few inches between each one.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for another 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately.