These healthy homemade frozen chicken strips can go directly from the freezer into your oven! You’ll never want to buy the processed store-bought ones again.
I was asked this past week where do my recipe ideas come from?
And most of the time, the answer is ‘I don’t know!’, because I get inspiration from everything that I read, everything around me, produce at the grocery store, something I saw on Pinterest, etc. It all just kind of soaks into my brain, and a recipe idea comes together!
However, in the case of this recipe, I can tell you: inspired by a true story. And that story involves a 5-pm OMG what’s for dinner moment by your’s truly, a bag of processed chicken strips, followed by feelings of remorse.
In all truthfulness, those store-bought chicken strips are delicious. Salty deliciousness, with that crispy breading and always perfectly tender interior.
But I’m always left wondering what exactly I just ate, why do they taste so $%^& delicious?! And do you want to read the ingredients on the packaging? No. Trust me, just don’t.
So this recipe is inspired by my attempt to see if I could make a healthier version of those chicken strips, using real ingredients and chicken breasts.
I tried out a similar breading technique as I did for these Lemon Parmesan Chicken Strips, and guess what?? I CAN!
You guys. These chicken strips turned out way better than I could have imagined!
They have the crispy exterior, and are soooo moist. Ben and I were both astounded at how moist these stayed!
These healthy homemade frozen chicken strips were SUPER easy to make: roll in some flour, toss in some egg, then coat in a seasoned Panko mixture. I froze mine on a plate for 3-4 hours before transferring to a large plastic bag. It’s really that simple!
I hope you love them as much as I do!
Healthy Homemade Frozen Chicken Strips
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko regular works fine as well
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1.5-inch wide strips.
- Place in three separate shallow bowls the flour, the eggs, and in the third bowl, combine the Panko, salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Working in batches of 2-3 strips, first roll in the flour. Tap gently to remove excess.
- Dredge in the egg, then in the Panko mixture. Place on a plate.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours, then transfer the chicken strips into a large plastic bag.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When oven is heated, arrange the chicken strips on the baking sheet, leaving a few inches between each one.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.