These healthy homemade frozen chicken strips can go directly from the freezer into your oven! You’ll never want to buy the processed store-bought ones again.
I was asked this past week where do my recipe ideas come from?
And most of the time, the answer is ‘I don’t know!’, because I get inspiration from everything that I read, everything around me, produce at the grocery store, something I saw on Pinterest, etc. It all just kind of soaks into my brain, and a recipe idea comes together!
However, in the case of this recipe, I can tell you: inspired by a true story. And that story involves a 5-pm OMG what’s for dinner moment by your’s truly, a bag of processed chicken strips, followed by feelings of remorse.
In all truthfulness, those store-bought chicken strips are delicious. Salty deliciousness, with that crispy breading and always perfectly tender interior.
But I’m always left wondering what exactly I just ate, why do they taste so $%^& delicious?! And do you want to read the ingredients on the packaging? No. Trust me, just don’t.
So this recipe is inspired by my attempt to see if I could make a healthier version of those chicken strips, using real ingredients and chicken breasts.
I tried out a similar breading technique as I did for these Lemon Parmesan Chicken Strips, and guess what?? I CAN!
You guys. These chicken strips turned out way better than I could have imagined!
They have the crispy exterior, and are soooo moist. Ben and I were both astounded at how moist these stayed!
These healthy homemade frozen chicken strips were SUPER easy to make: roll in some flour, toss in some egg, then coat in a seasoned Panko mixture. I froze mine on a plate for 3-4 hours before transferring to a large plastic bag. It’s really that simple!
I hope you love them as much as I do!
If you’re not on snapchat, you should be! It’s so fun, and NOT just for tweens. Follow along with my account sweetpeasaffron for a behind the scenes look at the blog, photography tips, cute toddler videos and the occasional recipe!
Healthy Homemade Frozen Chicken Strips
These healthy homemade frozen chicken strips are made with chicken breasts and whole wheat Panko, and they can go directly from the freezer to the oven!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko (regular works fine as well)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1.5-inch wide strips.
- Place in three separate shallow bowls the flour, the eggs, and in the third bowl, combine the Panko, salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Working in batches of 2-3 strips, first roll in the flour. Tap gently to remove excess.
- Dredge in the egg, then in the Panko mixture. Place on a plate.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours, then transfer the chicken strips into a large plastic bag.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When oven is heated, arrange the chicken strips on the baking sheet, leaving a few inches between each one.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Calories 256 // Fat 5 g // Saturated Fat 1 g // Cholesterol 129 mg // Sodium 235 mg // Carbohydrate 30 g // Fiber 3 g // Sugars 2 g // Protein 20 g
|Serving Size||¼ batch (2-3 strips)|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 256 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||5%|
|Cholesterol 129 mg||43%|
|Sodium 235 mg||10%|
|Carbohydrate 30 g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 20 g|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|