This chopped chickpea salad has bulgur wheat, crunchy veggies, feta cheese, and a delicious honey lemon vinaigrette. A delicious vegetarian salad that tastes even better on day 2!
Filled with mediterranean flavors, this chopped chickpea salad is packed with wholesome ingredients for the perfect blend of flavors and textures: salty feta, crunchy veggies and a tangy vinaigrette. Inspired by a classic tabouli salad, but made with ingredients that hold up well for meal prep.
Best of all, it tastes even better on day 2, after the ingredients have absorbed the dressing. Pack this salad to go for your work lunch, a picnic, or your next potluck!
reasons you'll love this recipe
- it's a delicious vegetarian meal
- it is very meal prep friendly and tastes even better on day 2!
- it is loaded with veggies, but leaves you feeling full
While this recipe is super simple to prep, sometimes it helps to have a visual. Watch the video below to see exactly how I prepped this salad. You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
- Bulgur Wheat - find this with the rice/grains or the health foods section of your grocery store. Bulgur contains gluten, so if you'd like a GF alternative, swap for an equal volume of quinoa!
- Chickpeas - use a can or cook your own from scratch. See our Instant Pot chickpeas recipe here!
- Veggies - we used celery, radish, red onion, and bell peppers. Chop them up nice and small.
- Feta Cheese - this adds such a delicious salty/briny flavor to the salad. Do not skip!
- Lemon Vinaigrette- we used our favorite white wine vinaigrette and jazzed it up with a little lemon zest. Simple, tangy and so good on this salad.
Step by step directions
Cook bulgur according to package directions and allow to cool.
Shake together all vinaigrette ingredients including olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Toss together all salad ingredients including the bulgar, chickpeas, feta cheese, celery, pepper, radish, and onion.
Drizzle with dressing, toss to combine, and enjoy!
Sure! You could swap for black beans, lentils, or edamame for another source of vegetarian protein.
Due to the bulgur wheat, this recipe is not gluten-free. You could swap the bulgur for quinoa to make it GF!
Storage + meal prep
Chopped chickpea salad keeps really well for meal prep! Here's how to store it:
- Portion out into 2 cup meal prep containers
- Store in sealed containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. (It will not freeze well).
- This salad keeps well after tossing in the vinaigrette!
- ⅔ cup bulgur uncooked
- 15 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 ribs celery finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- ½ cup radish finely chopped
- ¼ red onion finely chopped
Honey Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Cook - cook bulgar according to package directions and allow to cool.
- Vinaigrette - Shake together all vinaigrette ingredients including olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Assemble - Shake together all vinaigrette ingredients including olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add dressing - Drizzle with dressing, toss to combine, and enjoy!
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.