This chopped chickpea salad with bulgur wheat, crunchy veggies, feta cheese, and a delicious lemon vinaigrette is a delicious make-ahead salad that tastes even better on day 2!
This mediterranean chickpea salad is full of good for you ingredients that come together with the perfect blend of flavors and textures: salty feta, crunchy veggies, smooth bulgur and a tangy vinaigrette!
This post was originally published in 2017 but has been updated with fresh photos and a video in 2019! Same great recipe.
Looking for a filling but fresh salad recipe? You have come to the right place. Like my favorite Kale Chicken Pasta Salad, this chopped chickpea salad is a complete meal and will fill you up…it’s one of my favorite meal prep lunch recipes!
You could serve this salad as a side dish or as a full meal as itself. And the best thing about this salad is make-ahead friendly and actually tastes even better on day 2! So this could work for a pot luck, picnic, or work lunch.
Actually this might be one of my favorite meal prep lunch recipes on the blog! You don’t even need a microwave to heat it, and it tastes amazing, even on day 4.
Why you’ll ♡ this chopped chickpea salad
- it’s a delicious vegetarian meal
- it is very make ahead friendly and tastes even better on day 2!
- it is loaded with veggies, but leaves you feeling full
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Let’s make this chickpea salad recipe!
This is a riff off of a tabouli salad, but I left out the parsley, tomatoes and cucumber…basically anything that doesn’t work well for meal prep. For this chickpea salad recipe, you’ll need:
- Bulgur Wheat– find this with the rice/grains or the health foods section of your grocery store. I used this brand of bulgur wheat!
- Chickpeas– you can use a can or cook your own from scratch. See my Instant Pot Chickpeas recipe here!
- Veggies– I used celery, radish, red onion and bell peppers. Chop them up nice and small.
- Feta Cheese– this adds such a delicious salty/briney flavor to the salad. Do not skip!
- Lemon Vinaigrette– I used my favorite White Wine Vinaigrette and jazzed it up with a little lemon zest. Simple, tangy and so good on this salad.
Can I swap the bulgur wheat for something else? Sure! You could swap for quinoa or rice (same amount). Or you could leave it out (reduce the amount of vinaigrette you use though).
How long does mediterranean chickpea salad last? This recipe is good in the fridge for up to 4 days. It cannot be frozen.
Is this chickpea salad recipe gluten-free? Due to the bulgur wheat, this recipe is not gluten-free. You could swap the bulgur for quinoa to make it GF!
What to serve with mediterranean chickpea salad?
I consider this to be a complete meal as it has grains, vegetables and protein, however you could also serve smaller portions and serve it as a side dish! It would be a great picnic or potluck recipe.
Here are some ideas of what you could serve it with:
- Tzatziki and pita bread- I love this Super Speedy Tzatziki, which is perfect with grilled pita or naan bread.
- Baked Falafels– skip the frying in oil with these delicious crispy baked falafels!
- Rice or Cauliflower Rice– the lemon rice/cauliflower rice would go great with this mediterranean chickpea salad! See 7 Easy Rice Recipes and 7 Cauliflower Rice Recipes
- Chicken– this Curry Yogurt Marinade or this Lemon Garlic Greek Chicken Marinade seem like they would pair well with this salad.
Tips & equipment for the perfect chickpea bulgur salad:
- Use a pint jar or this salad dressing shaker to shake up the dressing
- I love these 2 cup meal prep containers and own around 50 of them!
- looking for more vegetarian meal prep recipes? Check out these Spicy Tofu Noodle Meal Prep Bowls, these Chickpea Salad Bento Boxes or this round-up with 40+ Vegetarian Meal Prep Recipes
Chopped Chickpea Salad (Make Ahead)
- 2/3 cup bulgur (uncooked)
- 15 oz can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 3 ribs celery (finely chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup radish (finely chopped)
- 1/4 red onion (finely chopped)
Honey Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Cook bulgur according to package directions and allow to cool.
- Shake together all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Toss together all salad ingredients.
- Store in sealed containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. This salad keeps well after tossing in the vinaigrette.