I've been on pins and needles waiting for this week for four whole months...we are finally moving into our dream house this week!
Because we had such a long closing date on our house, and haven't set foot in it since March, it almost feels like a dream that we even bought it. I've been looking over the house brochures from when we viewed it last, and reminding myself that it wasn't a dream, this is real life and this is going to be our forever home.
I've been telling Ben for months that I will finally breathe a sigh of relief when all of the paperwork is done and we are sitting in our new home. I get happy just thinking about it!
And I think a perfect dinner for our new house could be this southwestern chopped chicken salad, which also happens to be perfect for moving since it can be made ahead. Because after moving boxes all day, who has the energy to cook up a big dinner?
Today's post is in partnership with Litehouse Foods, whose Homestyle Ranch Dressing absolutely makes this southwestern chopped chicken salad.
Ben and I are huge Litehouse Caesar Dressing fans, but after tasting the Homestyle Ranch, neither of us could actually decide which is our favourite. They are both creamy and so packed with flavour-- the perfect dressings to stash in your fridge and jazz up a side salad, use as dip for veggies, drizzle on roasted veggies etc.
And for this recipe, the Homestyle Ranch Dressing is the absolute perfect compliment to the southwestern flavours of the chicken and all the veggies in this salad. Also the tortilla strips!
Don't forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
To make this southwestern chopped chicken salad meal preppable (is that a verb? I say so!), simply keep the dressing and tortilla strips off until you're ready to serve. This way, it will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
You could bring the whole jar of dressing with you to work, although I'd make sure to label it because your co-workers might get into it 😉
It is a filling but light salad that will get you excited for lunch hour, and keep you away from the food court.
You can find Litehouse products in the refrigerated area in the produce section of your grocery store...cold is where it's sold!
Thank you Litehouse for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions remain my own.
Tips for your perfect Southwestern chopped chicken salad:
- keep the ranch dressing and tortilla strips separate until just prior to serving
- this creamy cilantro lime dressing would also be great!
- for little variation, you could serve these in pita pockets or in a tortilla (you may need to reduce the serving size slightly)
- these are my favourite meal prep containers
- for more meal prep salad ideas, check out these Meal Prep Chopped Chickpea Salads and these Mix & Match Meal Prep Burrito Bowls (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad (Meal Prep)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts 12-14 oz
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup red onions chopped
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 19 oz can of black beans drained & rinsed
- Litehouse Homestyle Ranch Dressing roughly ½ cup; 2 tablespoons per lunch bowl
- ½ cup tortilla strips
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Mix together all spices.
- Place chicken breasts in a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with spice mixture, turn chicken over and sprinkle the other side until coated.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Allow to rest at least 10 minutes before chopping into cubes.
- Divide all salad ingredients amongst four meal prep containers (2 cup capacity). Top with chicken.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To ServeDump the contents out into a large bowl, toss with roughly 2 tablespoons of Litehouse Homestyle Ranch Dressing, and sprinkle with tortilla strips.
Calories 463 // Fat 19 g // Saturated Fat 2 g // Cholesterol 65 mg // Sodium 712 mg // Carbohydrate 41 g // Fiber 12 g // Sugars 7 g // Protein 31 g