These mix & match meal prep burrito bowls will help you make four delicious lunches using what you have on hand in your pantry and fridge.
Another recipe from our April Lunch Prep Challenge!
I have to say, given that I was going through some rough morning sickness while testing these recipes, I was really happy with how they all tasted in the end. And these burrito bowls ended up as one of the participant favorites.
For our Lunch Prep Challenge, my goal was to create recipes that you can ‘make your own’. Loose recipes. Easily gluten-free-ified and veganized.
And this is one such recipe! Or ‘loose concept of a recipe’. A ‘clean out the fridge’ kind of meal prep!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
So today, for these mix and match meal prep burrito bowls, I’m giving you lotttts of options.
Burrito bowl components: a) rice b) proteins c) veggies d) salsa/sour cream/sauce of choice. These two versions are: chicken burrito bowls and black bean sweet potato burrito bowls, but by all means, tweak this formula with what you have on hand to get your perfect burrito bowl.
The flavor in these meal prep burrito bowls comes from a simple spice rub you throw together. I split the rub and put half of it in the rice as it cooks up, and smothered half of it on the chicken or sweet potatoes as they roast. It’s a bit spicy, so if you don’t like spice, leave out the red pepper flakes.
For veggies, take a peak in your fridge and go nuts. I used kale/romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and corn kernels for my chicken version, and added a sprinkling of cheese as well.
For the vegan version, I roasted up some sweet potatoes, red onion and bell pepper. You could pair these with the chicken or with the black beans.
For the sauce, pick your favorite! I used salsa and greek yogurt, but I bet an avocado dressing or guacamole would also be amazing.
And for those of you with a little extra time and wanting more variation in your lunches for the week, you could split it up and do two of each version!
Get your perfect meal prep burrito bowl:
- swap the rice for quinoa or your grain of choice, and cook it in a rice cooker so you can easily multi-task
- these are my favorite meal prep lunch containers
- swap the chicken/black beans for this Slow Cooker Maple Pulled Pork
- keep your salsa/yogurt/dressing separate until just before serving
Mix & Match Meal Prep Burrito Bowls
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 large chicken breasts 14 oz approx
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded or chopped Romaine lettuce or kale
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 7 oz can corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 6 cups sweet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- 19 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- Chicken Burrito BowlsStir together the rub and add half to the rice with cooking liquid. Cook rice according to package directions and allow to cool.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Toss chicken in olive oil, then sprinkle with the remaining rub and toss to coat evenly.
- Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip, then bake for another 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Allow chicken to cool and chop into cubes.
- While chicken is baking, prepare the veggies and cheese.
- To assemble, divide all ingredients between 4 2-cup capacity storage containers. Store salsa in a separate container and add to the burrito bowls just before serving.
- Sweet Potato Burrito BowlsStir together the rub and add half to the rice with cooking liquid. Cook rice according to package directions and allow to cool.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Toss sweet potato cubes in 1 tablespoon olive oil and spice rub, then arrange on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the onion and bell pepper slices. Toss in remaining 0.5 tablespoon of olive oil, and arrange on a second baking sheet.
- When the 10 minutes is up, flip the sweet potatoes, and add the bell peppers and onion baking pan to the oven. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Allow veggies to cool before assembling. To assemble, divide all ingredients evenly amongst 4 2-cup capacity storage containers. Keep the greek yogurt in a separate small container, until you are ready to serve.