Grilled brussels sprouts with garlic butter is a simple side dish that will blow you away! They get charred and crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside, and are brushed with the most divine garlic butter.
Does anyone else get stuck in a rut when it comes to side dishes? My go-to time and time again are these Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts, and it was time to get out of that rut! And WOW. I think these grilled brussels sprouts might just take over as our summer go-to side dish!
The thing about this grilled brussel sprouts recipe…it’s all about the texture! They get charred and crispy on the outside, but stay nice and moist (yes, I hate that word too!) on the inside. It’s the best of both worlds!
And the other thing we need to talk about is that garlic butter 🤩. Savory, luscious, and so simple to throw together.
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Stop what you’re doing and make grilled brussels sprouts!
- they have a charred, crispy outside and are nice and soft on the inside
- they are ready in under 20 minutes
- THAT BUTTER!
How to grill brussel sprouts
Grilling brussels sprouts is so easy but there are a few tips that will help you get them just right! I know this looks like a lot of steps but I promise it only takes 20 minutes from start to finish.
Here’s how to grill brussel sprouts:
- wash brussels sprouts- I always soak them in water because it helps them get nice and clean.
- microwave them for 3-7 minutes (depends on the size of your sprouts, for the ones above- 2 inches long- 7 minutes was needed in my microwave). They should be soft and bright green.
- cool a few minutes until they are OK to handle.
- cut off bottom stem- about 1/2 inch (depending on the size of your sprouts).
- skewer! I use these metal skewers, if you have wooden skewers, I’d soak them for 10 minutes so they don’t burn on the BBQ.
- brush with garlic butter.
- grill 3-5 minutes per side on direct heat, brushing with more garlic butter as needed.
Do I need to microwave these grilled brussels sprouts before grilling them? Yes, otherwise they will be charred on the outside and raw on the inside.
Can I use this grilled brussel sprouts recipe for meal prep? Yes! They are great re-heated the next day, so I think they’d keep for meal prep. You could also skewer them ahead and cover until you’re ready to grill.
What goes well with this grilled brussel sprouts recipe?
Here’s what I serve with grilled brussel sprouts:
- grilled salmon– a super quick protein to cook on the barbecue at the same time- we love this Chili Rubbed Salmon with Avocado Salsa
- grilled sweet potatoes– either whole or sliced into rounds. Here’s How to Cook Sweet Potatoes.
- grilled pork tenderloin– takes a bit longer than the sprouts so start grilling it first. Here’s a tasty Chipotle Grilled Pork Tenderloin recipe!
- easy side salad– our go-to is this Staple Kale Salad
- rice– a staple in our house! Here are 7 Easy Rice Recipes to jazz up your rice routine! The Lemon Herb Rice would be great with this recipe.
Tips & equipment for grilled brussel sprouts!
- get a good set of metal skewers and use tongs to turn them so you don’t burn your hand
- a good silicone basting brush is great for brushing on the garlic butter
- looking for more healthy grilling recipes? Check out this Grilled Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan, these Sugar Snap Peas 3 Ways and How to Cook Broccolini
Grilled Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Butter
- 1 lbs brussels sprouts (roughly 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter (unsalted)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Wash brussels sprouts in a large bowl of cold water. Transfer to a covered microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 3 (small sprouts) to 7 (large sprouts) minutes, or until sprouts are bright green and soft through the center.
- Cool for a few minutes until they are safe to handle. Trim off the stem of the sprout (about 1/2 inch), and thread onto the skewer, leaving a bit of space between the sprouts.
- Prepare the garlic butter- melt butter and stir in the garlic, salt and smoked paprika.
- Brush brussels sprouts skewers with garlic butter.
- Grill for 3-5 minutes per side, rotating as needed, and brushing with more garlic butter.
- Brush with garlic butter just before serving.