Golden and perfectly seasoned, these air fryer roasted potatoes can be on your table in just 20 minutes! Faster and more energy efficient than using your oven.
While air fryer potatoes don't get crispy per se, they are tender and cook through in half the time it takes in the oven.
The potatoes get deliciously golden brown and roast through to perfection!
Reasons you'll ♡ air fryer roasted potatoes
- they cook through in half the time it takes in the oven
- they are golden brown, tender and seasoned to perfection
- they are made with simple pantry spices and come together quickly
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
This recipe combines simple ingredients to allow the natural flavors of the potatoes to shine. Here are some tips to help you make this recipe successful:
- oil- I've used extra virgin olive oil for this recipe, but another great oil option for the air fryer is avocado oil (it has a high smoke point!)
- potatoes- I've used red potatoes for these photos, but this recipe also works great with baby potatoes (halved) and Yukon gold potatoes (cut into 1 to 1.5 inch cubes). Make sure you cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces so they cook through at the same time.
- paprika- the recipe calls for sweet paprika, but if you want a smoky twist, you could try swapping for smoked paprika
Use high heat
When it comes to cooking potatoes, a high temperature is preferable for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures that the center of the potato cooks before the outsides lose too much moisture. When roasting at lower temperatures, the potatoes must cook for much longer, resulting in dry potatoes.
Secondly, a high heat helps you get a golden brown color and added flavor across the surface of the potato.
We apply these same temperature principles when cooking potatoes in the air fryer and use the highest temperature the air fryer can get to (390°F/200°C).
Shake it up
For this recipe, we are cooking 1.5 lbs of potatoes in a basket-style air fryer. Since some of the potatoes will be in the middle of the pile, they are sheltered from the heat and air, so it's important to shake up the basket to mix them up. I advise shaking them up every 3-4 minutes.
If you use an oven-style air fryer, be sure to rotate the shelves, and flip the potatoes half way through. Use the cook time as an estimate, as I've noticed these air fryers cook differently than basket air fryers.
Step by step directions
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the printable recipe card.
- Toss potatoes with oil and spices until evenly coated.
- Heat air fryer to 200°C/390°F, then place potatoes in the basket.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes, shaking the basket every 3-4 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
These air fryer red potatoes are a great side dish and would be perfect served with:
- Perfect Grilled Chicken Breast
- Freaking Amazing Pork Tenderloin Marinade
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin with Soy Ginger Glaze
- Balsamic Salmon Marinade
- feel free to get creative: swap the paprika for oregano or basil, try one of these spice blends, or keep it simple with salt
- this method works great with Yukon gold and baby potatoes as well
- this recipe was tested in my basket-style Phillips air fryer (similar to this one). All air fryers cook differently, so use your best judgement when cooking your potatoes
- these potatoes store great and can be reheated in the air fryer: heat to 390°F/200°C and add the potatoes; cook for 3-5 minutes until warmed through.
My thoughts on air fryer models
I’ve been using a Phillips air fryer (similar to this one) for several years and it is still working great. However, if I could do it over again, I would buy the XL model, which fits more food. We also recently purchased the Instant Pot Vortex air fryer, and so far we really love it!
More air fryer recipes
- Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Bacon
- Crispy Air Fryer Broccoli
- Perfect Air Fryer Salmon
- Crispy Air Fryer Tofu
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs (boneless and bone-in)
- 1 ½ lbs red potatoes cut into 1 ½ inch pieces; see note 1
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat air fryer to 390°F/ 200°C.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Transfer the potatoes to the air fryer basket once it has come to temperature.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes, shaking the basket every 3-4 minutes to mix up the potatoes.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.