An easy summer barley salad with grilled corn, blueberries, goat cheese and almonds, all tossed in a simple white wine vinaigrette. Perfect picnic food!
It’s JUNE. June, people!
So I guess we should talk summer bucket lists, now shall we? My summer bucket lists always seem to revolve around food, somehow…
- berries. Berries. BERRIES!
- ice cream
- take Kai to the splash park
OK so that was maybe more like a grocery list, but what can I say? I am just excited about all the fresh produce. And ice cream and splash parks, apparently! Does that mean that I’m still a giant kid at heart?
Well, I’m already going to knock two of those items off my list today! Blueberries and corn, in this delicious summer barley salad!
When I close my eyes and dream about my perfect salad, this is what I see: a base (barley), some healthy, seasonal vegetable (corn), something sweeter (blueberries), CHEESE (goat cheese), and something crunchy (almonds). All tossed in a tangy dressing.
It is the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors, and the perfect range of textures: chewy barley, crunchy almonds, and creamy cheese. This is my formula for the perfect salad. I use it over and over and over, and I don’t think I’ll ever tire of it!
And I’m seriously loving this barley salad recipe, not only because it’s so fresh and delicious, but because it has finally converted me into a goat cheese fanatic!
For whatever reason, goat cheese just hasn’t been my friend until now…I just couldn’t get over the aftertaste.
After putting feta cheese in ALL of the salads, I decided it’s time to branch out. Let’s give goat cheese one more try.
And paired with sweet corn and blueberries, with the tangy vinaigrette in this barley salad, the goat cheese gives this salad a phenomenal flavor…I just couldn’t get enough of it!
So I guess this is the week where my secret is revealed: I’m a picky eater with a pretty long list of dislikes. At least there is one less thing on that list after today!
Happy Thursday! TGIT! (We made that a thing, remember?)
Summer Barley Salad with Grilled Corn and Blueberries
A fresh and summery salad, perfect for a barbecue! Grilled Corn, Barley, Blueberries, Goat Cheese and Almonds are tossed in a White Wine Vinaigrette!
- 1 cup pearl barley (uncooked)
- 2 ears of corn on the cob, husks removed
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 package goat cheese, crumbled (113g, 4 oz)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Cook barley according to package directions. Allow to cool completely.
- To cook the corn: heat the barbecue over medium-high heat. Spray lightly with oil.
- Grill the corn, turning every 5 or so minutes, for a total time of around 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then cut the kernels from the corn.
- To prepare the salad: combine barley, cooked corn, blueberries, almonds, red onion, goat cheese, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Shake together all vinaigrette ingredients, and toss the salad in the vinaigrette.