This kale caesar salad has a creamy greek yogurt dressing and crispy garlic chickpeas instead of traditional croutons. A delicious and healthier alternative to traditional caesar salad.
While I love caesar salad, it is definitely not the healthiest choice out there. Between the romaine lettuce, the dressing, and the croutons, there's not a lot of nutritional value to it. Enter the kale caesar.
This kale caesar swaps romaine lettuce for kale, which is one of the most nutrient-dense foods available.
It swaps croutons for chickpeas, which add some protein to keep us feeling full.
And the traditional oil-heavy caesar dressing is swapped for a greek yogurt based dressing, lightening it up considerably.
Despite these swaps, this is one seriously delicious salad. Those chickpeas are highly addictive!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
This kale caesar salad
- is ready in 30 minutes
- has many healthy swaps (kale, chickpeas, greek yogurt)
- is a flavor bomb!
How to make kale caesar
This kale version might just be tastier than the original caesar salad.
First, we will gather our ingredients, which are a mix of healthy veggies, proteins and fats. They all come together to make magic in this salad!
- prepare the kale- remove from stems, tear into bite-sized pieces, wash and dry. I love this salad spinner.
- prepare the dressing- in a mason jar stir together the greek yogurt, avocado mayo, lemon juice, salt and garlic
- prepare the chickpeas- rinse, dry, toss in arrowroot powder, garlic powder and salt, then fry them up for 15-20 minutes.
- put it all together- and don't forget a generous sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan cheese over everything!
Can I make this recipe vegan? Sure but you will need to find a vegan caesar dressing. Here's a great looking cashew-based alternative!
Can I swap the chickpeas? You could replace the chickpeas with croutons if you'd prefer, and top the salad with some shredded chicken. Here's an Instant Pot Whole Chicken recipe that would be great on this salad!
Can I meal prep this recipe? This recipe is best served fresh, however you can prep components ahead and assemble at the last moment. Check out this post for details on how I meal prepped this salad (plus two other delicious chickpea recipes!)
Tips and equipment
Kale Caesar Salad with Garlic Chickpeas
- 19 oz cooked chickpeas (drained & rinsed; roughly 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (or all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Greek Yogurt Caesar Dressing:
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup avocado mayonnaise (or your favorite mayo)
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
Chickpea Kale Salad:
- 1 bunch kale (washed, shredded & dried)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- After draining and rinsing chickpeas, spread them out on a clean towel and blot with a second towel to dry completely.
- Once chickpeas are dry, stir them together with arrowroot starch, garlic powder and salt until evenly coated.
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the chickpeas to the pan, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Kale Caesar Salad
- While garlic chickpeas are cooking, shred, wash and dry the kale.
- Stir together the dressing ingredients, then toss the kale until evenly coated.
- Top the kale caesar salad with garlic chickpeas and a few tablespoons of parmesan cheese
To meal prep this recipe
- This salad is best served fresh, however you can prep some of the components 4-5 days ahead:- shred, wash, dry kale and store in a container lined with a paper towel in the fridge- shake up the salad dressing and store in the fridge