Mexican Cobb salad made with guacamole, pickled onions, and jalapeno havarti cheese is a fun take on everyone's favorite salad! Works great for meal prep and lunch on the go.
While I sure do love a traditional Cobb Salad Recipe, it's fun to get creative and mix things up, too! This Mexican Cobb salad is such a fun and delicious remix.
This post has been generously sponsored by ArlaCanada. As always, the opinions and language are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that I love!
This cobb salad is so full of flavor and texture: tangy pickled onions, creamy guacamole, and salty bacon. I added Arla Havarti Jalapeno Wedges, and this really compliments all the other flavors. It's buttery, soft, and a little bit spicy!
Arla Havarti Jalapeno Wedges are made with a short and natural ingredients list including 100% whole milk and a mix of sweet and hot peppers, and is free from artificial flavors, colors and preservatives, as well as stabilizers, thickeners or gums. It's great for snacking straight out of the package...I love how creamy and smooth it is!
Arla Havarti Jalapeno Wedges are perfect for meal prep and snacking on the go. Check out some more ways you can use them here!
Reasons to love this Mexican cobb salad
- it's protein-packed and will keep you going all afternoon long
- it's flexible and can be adapted to what you have in the fridge
- you can meal prep and store for up to 4 days!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
How to make Mexican Cobb salad
This is a really loose recipe, which means it's perfect for using up extra ingredients you have in the fridge.
- havarti jalapeno wedges- traditional Cobb salad has blue cheese but this jalapeno havarti cheese compliments all the other flavors in this Mexican twist on Cobb salad
- romaine lettuce- washed and spun dry in my favorite salad spinner
- hard boiled eggs- I cooked mine in the Instant Pot, but you could cook yours on the stove
- bacon- I bake my bacon in the oven so I can prep the other ingredients while it cooks
- pickled onions- these take 5 minutes in the microwave and add SO MUCH flavor to the salad
- guacamole- we are trading in avocado slices for guacamole! This adds more flavor and acts in place of a salad dressing to bring a creaminess to the salad
- corn- one 11.5 oz can, drained
- cherry tomatoes- sliced
What else would go great in this salad?
I have so many ideas for other ingredients you could put in this salad:
- roasted sweet potatoes
- pickled or fresh jalapenos
- tortilla strips or chips
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- black beans
- bell peppers
One thing to note is that the pickled onions in this salad add quite a bit of tanginess to it. I found that vinaigrettes added too much 'tang' to the recipe. If you would like to add a dressing, make sure it is quite mild!
How to meal prep this recipe?
This salad works amazingly well for meal prep with a few little tricks!
- keep salad components separate- I recommend using one of these 3 compartment meal prep containers to keep your bacon and eggs separate from the cheese and the veggies until you are ready to serve
- leave off guac- you could try using individual guacamole portions that you can purchase from the grocery store, or just slice avocado on fresh. Alternatively, you could swap it for a bottled avocado dressing (but again, make sure it's a mild dressing, not a tangy one)
- keep the pickled onions and cheese apart- I used a parchment muffin liner and it did the trick!
This salad will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days if you store it properly! Get ready for a delicious, portable, protein-packed lunch!
Tips & equipment
- Find Arla Havarti Jalapeno Wedges in your local grocery store
- I used these 3 compartment meal prep containers, this salad spinner, and my 6 quart Instant Pot
- Looking for more meal-sized salads? Check out this Kale Chicken Pasta Salad, these Ranch Chicken Jar Salads, and this Kale Caesar Salad with Garlic Chickpeas
Mexican Cobb Salad
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 eggs
- 200 grams Arla Jalapeno Havarti Wedges (cut into cubes)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce (shredded, washed & spun dry)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 11.5 oz can of corn kernels (drained)
Quick Pickled Onions
- ½ red onion (sliced thinly)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- pinch salt
- pinch oregano
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 avocados (scooped out)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ½ lime (juiced)
- salt (to taste)
- Cook your bacon in a frying pan or in the oven using this tutorial. Cool completely.
- Prepare hard boiled eggs using your favorite method or in the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water on high pressure for 6 minutes with a quick pressure release before transferring to an ice bath.
Quick Pickled Onions
- In a mason jar, combine all ingredients. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until onions are soft and bright pink. Allow to cool before serving.
- In a bowl, mash together the avocados, garlic, lime juice and salt.
- Chop up the bacon, eggs and Jalapeno Havarti Wedges.
- Divide all ingredients between four bowls and enjoy.
- To meal prep, use a 3-compartment meal prep container to keep the ingredients separate prior to serving. Leave off the guacamole; you can add freshly sliced avocado or avocado dressing.