Classic Greek salad dressing made from scratch with simple pantry ingredients- takes just five minutes and adds so much flavor to your salad!
We are getting close to our 7 salad dressing flavors post, and today it's all about that Greek salad dressing!
With simple ingredients that you most likely have in your pantry, you can whip up this Greek dressing in under 5 minutes.
It's great on greek salad, or as a marinade for chicken!
Reasons to love this Greek salad dressing:
- it's made from clean, simple pantry ingredients
- it takes 5 minutes to make
- it adds so much flavor to your salad!
How to make it
This recipe is so simple to mix up, and is adapted from my Red Wine Vinaigrette recipe. Let's discuss the ingredients:
- Red wine vinegar- I have just opted for whatever is available in the grocery store aisle, but you can get a whole lot fancier than that. Here’s a great review from Cook’s Illustrated of the best red wine vinegars.
- Olive oil- I go for a quality olive oil in my vinaigrettes by using extra virgin olive oil.
- Dijon– while I’m not a fan of mustard, it is a key ingredient in my vinaigrettes. Not only does it add some depth of flavor, but it helps to keep the oil and vinegar from immediately separating (though they do over time).
- Maple syrup or honey- I use these sweeteners interchangeably in my vinaigrettes without noticing a huge change in flavor. Adding a bit of sweetener helps tame the tanginess in this red wine vinaigrette and adds another layer of flavor. I don’t recommend skipping it!
- Herbs & spices- basil & oregano to give that characteristic Greek flavor to the dressing, and onion + garlic powder to give it some savory umami
What goes well with it
You can really use Greek dressing on any salad (you may wish to adjust the oil to vinegar ratio to 1:2 or 1:3 for leafy salads), but it goes best on:
- Greek salad (I make mine with tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, red onion, feta cheese and olives)
- pasta salad, like this Greek Chicken Pasta Salad
- a quinoa salad or a bulgur wheat salad such as this Meal Prep Chopped Chickpea Salad
- any salad with Mediterranean ingredients: chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese
- a crunchy salad with shredded cabbage
Tips & equipment
Greek Salad Dressing
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Shake together all ingredients.
- Keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.