A fast and healthy dinner recipe that comes together in 30 minutes! These spicy shrimp quesadillas are packed with fresh produce and tropical flavours!
Poor January. It gets a bad rap. The holidays are over, yet winter is far from over. The days are still short and the temperatures are low.
The "January Blues" are apparently a real thing, and I have to admit, even I have been lagging a little myself lately.
Well, nothing can cheer me up quicker than a plate full of bright, tropical food. Especially if it has a spicy little kick and a pile of fresh mango salsa on top!
These quesadillas are hiding a little secret that may not be obvious at first glance: they are packed full of fresh produce! Bell peppers, red onion, jalapeños, and a whole lotta fresh mango to top them all off!
This post is in partnership with Half Your Plate, whose mission is simple: encourage us to fill half our plates with fruit and vegetables!
These spicy shrimp quesadillas are proof that this doesn't have to be a challenging goal to meet, and that incorporating vegetables and fruit into your meals doesn't mean you have to eat a salad or carrot sticks (although I sure do LOVE me some salads!).
This month Half Your Plate has named mangoes as fruit of the month. Mangoes are packed with vitamin C and are completely fat free, and they add such a vibrant flavour to any dish they are used in.
To compliment the bright, sweet mango salsa, I cooked up the shrimp, bell peppers and onion in a Jamaican jerk inspired seasoning mix: allspice, thyme, paprika, brown sugar, etc. I added cayenne for some kick, but this can be omitted (see the recipe notes).
Altogether these spicy shrimp quesadillas are sweet, savoury, and a little bit spicy. Most importantly, they are perfect to kick those January blues to the curb!
Thank-you to Half Your Plate for sponsoring this post! As always, all opinions are my own.
- 2 mangoes diced
- 2 jalapeno seeds removed, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne *see note
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- ¾ lb 350g raw shrimp, thawed, tails removed
- juice of ½ lime
- spray oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 large tortillas
- sour cream or yogurt to serve
- Prepare mango salsa in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Quesadilla fillings: Mix up the seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the bell peppers and onion to the pan and cook until softened, 5 or so minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare the shrimp (remove tails, devein etc). Toss in half of the seasoning mix.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and sprinkle with remaining seasoning. Toss to coat all veggies and shrimp evenly. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the filling.
- Transfer shrimp/veggies to a plate, rinse the pan, spray with spray oil and return to the burner.
- Assemble the quesadillas: Add a large tortilla to the pan, then sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese. Add ¼ of the shrimp/veggie filling, then add another ¼ cup of cheese on top. Fold the quesadilla over and weigh down with a pot lid or heavy plate.
- Cook for around 2 minutes, until golden brown, then flip. Cook for another minute before setting aside.
- Repeat with the other 3 tortillas.
For a mild spice, add ½ teaspoon cayenne.
For a spicier quesadilla, add more!
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.