This chickpea salad sandwich is an easy, vegan-friendly lunch recipe that is ready in under 10 minutes! With smashed chickpeas, crunchy celery, dill and mayonnaise, you can prep a batch to enjoy all week.
Chickpeas are such a great vegetarian protein. We love them in vegan Moroccan chickpea skillet and kale caesar salad (as 'croutons'). They are also great as a tuna substitute in this chickpea salad sandwich!
Chickpeas are smashed and tossed in mayonnaise (vegan mayo if you are vegan) with celery, dill, salt and pepper.
Top with fresh tomato and lettuce and you have a delicious lunch ready in under 10 minutes!
This chickpea salad sandwich
- is ready in 10 minutes with just 5 simple ingredients
- is vegan-friendly
- is protein-packed and perfect paired with fresh tomato and lettuce
Watch the video below to see exactly how I prepped my sandwich. It’s so easy! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel, or on Facebook.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Ingredients you'll need
You are just 5 simple ingredients away from your sandwich. Here's what you need:
- chickpeas- cooked. You can use canned chickpeas (drained + rinsed), or cook your own. Here's my favorite Instant Pot chickpeas recipe.
- celery- finely chopped. This adds a nice crunchy texture to the mixture. Sometimes I also add red onion but left it out this time.
- mayonnaise- I love using avocado mayonnaise, but if you are vegan, opt for a vegan mayo.
- dill- dried dill adds so much delicious flavor to this recipe.
- salt + pepper- to enhance all the other flavors.
Start by mashing your chickpeas
Mashing chickpeas changes their texture and helps the mixture stick together with the mayonnaise better. You can use a fork or a potato masher, and you may need a little elbow grease to get it done. Mash until they look like the photo above.
Add in the spices + mayo
Once the chickpeas are mashed, add in the mayonnaise, dill, celery, salt and pepper. Mix until completely combined.
Building your sandwich
I like to spread out around ⅓ to ½ cup of the chickpea salad mixture on a piece of bread. Next, add tomato slices, top with lettuce, and the top piece of bread. Enjoy!
- chickpeas- swap for white beans
- celery- swap for red onion or leave out
- bread- swap for tortilla, wrap or pita bread
- lettuce- swap for spinach, sprouts or romaine
- mayonnaise- swap for hummus, caesar salad dressing or your favorite creamy dressing
This chickpea salad filling may be prepped ahead and stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I do not recommend freezing it as the chickpea and celery texture will change and the mayo may break.
While this recipe works great as a sandwich filling, you can get creative and serve it several other ways:
- spoon into pitas or use in a wrap
- serve it over lettuce as a salad
- serve with mini naan bread or pita chips and serve as a dip
- spoon it into scooped out cucumber 'cups' for a lower carb snack
More easy lunches
- Pulled Pork Burrito Bowls
- Thai Chicken Lunch Bowls
- Easy Buddha Bowls
- Homemade Instant Noodle Cups
- 4 Bento Lunch Box Ideas
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 15 oz can of chickpeas drained + rinsed; 19 oz works too
- ¼ cup mayonnaise or vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 ribs celery finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped- optional
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 4 leaves lettuce
- In a bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until they are mostly broken.
- Fold in the mayonnaise, dill, salt, pepper, celery and red onion.
- Serve in a sandwich, wrap or pita with tomatoes and lettuce.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment