This easy Asian slaw recipe crunchy and tangy! Cabbage, carrots, bell peppers and green onions are tossed in a delicious sesame dressing.
Sometimes you just need an easy side salad, and today’s Asian slaw is just that!
Full of fresh, crunchy vegetables and tossed in a delicious sesame vinaigrette, you can have this slaw recipe ready and on your table in under 20 minutes.
Not only is it delicious but so pretty to look at too…we all eat with our eyes first, right?
We love this Asian slaw recipe because
- it is ready in under 20 minutes
- is full of healthy vegetables
- it tastes delicious with crunchy veggies and a tangy sesame dressing!
How to make Asian cole slaw
Like any good cole slaw recipe, this Asian version has crunchy veggies and a tangy dressing.
- veggies- I used napa cabbage, but any cabbage will work in this recipe. Shred or chop it finely. I also included finely sliced bell pepper and a shredded carrot.
- Asian slaw dressing- I took my favorite 5 Minute Asian Salad Dressing and modified it slightly: swapped the fresh ginger for powdered, omitted the garlic, and upped the tanginess by increasing the rice vinegar.
- garnish- I topped this Asian slaw with toasted sesame seeds. I bet peanuts would be great, too! A sprinkling of green onions also added a nice color and flavor to the salad.
Can I make this Asian slaw recipe ahead? You can certainly pre-chop the veggies, and the salad is good in the dressing for up to 8 hours. After that, the cabbage starts to get soft. So if you want to make this as a meal prep recipe, I suggest dressing it right before serving.
What can I serve with Asian slaw? This salad recipe will pair well with this Perfect Baked Chicken Breast, this Easy Crockpot BBQ Chicken, this Broiled Salmon, and this Turmeric Yellow Rice Recipe. It’s perfect for a picnic and would be great with basically anything summery and/or grilled.
Can I use a bagged slaw mix? Absolutely! This salad was around 8 cups of loosely packed veggies so I’d aim for an equivalent if using bagged mix.
Tips & Equipment for this Asian slaw recipe
- I chopped my cabbage with my favorite knife but you could also shred it in a food processor
- for meal prep, keep the veggies and dressing separate until just before serving
- Looking for more easy salad recipes? Try our Staple Kale Salad, this Healthy Greek Chicken Pasta Salad, this Refreshing Quinoa Black Bean Salad, or this round up with 21 Make Ahead Salads Perfect for Meal Prep
Asian Slaw Recipe with Sesame Dressing
- 6 cups napa cabbage (shredded and loosely packed; roughly 1/2 a head)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 2 bell peppers (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup green onions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Shake together sesame dressing.
- Toss all salad ingredients in the dressing.
- Serve immediately.
To prep ahead
- Veggies may be chopped up to 4 days ahead. Keep separate from dressing until just prior to serving.