This strawberry caprese quinoa salad has fresh strawberries, basil and mozzarella tossed with quinoa and drizzled in a balsamic vinaigrette. Fresh, light and summery!
Strawberries in salads might sound a little different, but it can be so good! From strawberry spinach salad to strawberry arugula steak salad to this delicious strawberry and quinoa version of a caprese salad, it's a great way to add flavor and enjoy fresh summer strawberries.
This is a great salad if you want something light, fresh and summery! With fresh strawberries and basil, mozzarella and quinoa, it is sweet, savory and tangy.
Just add a grilled chicken breast or maybe balsamic marinated salmon to make this a meal!
Reasons you'll ♡ it
- it is light, refreshing, and perfect for summer
- it's gluten-free and vegan-friendly
- you can just add protein to make it a full meal!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
What is caprese salad?
Insalata caprese translates from Italian to 'the salad from Capri' (1). Originating sometime in the early to mid 1900's in Capri Italy, caprese salad consisted of cow's milk mozzarella, tomatoes and olive oil, garnished with oregano and arugula (2). These days, caprese salad most often includes balsamic vinegar and fresh basil as well.
This recipe takes inspiration from traditional caprese salad flavors, but replaces the tomatoes with strawberries, and adds quinoa to bulk it out. This is meant to be a fun twist on a classic, and I hope you enjoy my creative interpretation!
Ingredients you'll need
- Quinoa- cook this ahead and cool before making the salad. I like cooking my quinoa in the Instant Pot or in my rice cooker!
- Strawberries- look for the sweetest summer strawberries for this salad.
- Basil- you absolutely need fresh basil for this recipe; dried basil won't work
- Mozzarella- use a fresh mozzarella for the best flavor. Pizza mozzarella will not have the same flavor.
- Balsamic vinaigrette- my go-to 4 ingredient balsamic vinaigrette is absolutely perfect on this salad!
- this salad does not keep well and should be served within an hour of preparing it
- if you leave off the basil, this salad will keep for up to 48 hours
- make sure your quinoa is completely cool before adding the strawberries, mozzarella and basil
- add a protein to make this a meal
Step by step directions
- Cook and cool quinoa.
- Shake up the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Combine the cooled quinoa with strawberries, mozzarella and basil.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and enjoy!
More summery salads for us
- Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad
- Chicken Satay Salad
- Crunchy Asian Cucumber Salad
- Healthy Taco Salad
- Easy Sesame Asian Slaw
- Orzo Pasta Salad with Feta and Mint
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Strawberry Caprese Quinoa Salad
- ½ cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- ¼ cup basil leaves packed; coarsely chopped
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon Dijon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Allow to cool completely.
- Mix cooled quinoa, strawberries, basil and bocconcini in a medium bowl.
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients and toss into the salad.
- Serve immediately.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment