Vegan Moroccan chickpea skillet is freezer-friendly and perfect for meal prep! With chickpeas, sweet potatoes and spicy Moroccan seasoning.
When it comes to dinner, I have a 1-year old clinging to my ankle and a 5-year old who is tired, hungry, and whiny. So I need E-A-S-Y.
Enter this Moroccan chickpea skillet. Dump it in a pan, simmer for 30 minutes, and call it done! That’s really how easy it is to cook.
It’s packed full of plant-powered goodness, and is delicious served with a piece of naan bread, or over rice.
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
We love this Moroccan chickpea skillet because
- it’s vegan, gluten-free, and packed full of healthy veggies
- you can assemble it and freeze for up to three months before cooking OR you can cook it up and freeze the leftovers
- it’s spicy and delicious!
I’ve been looking for an alternative to gallon-sized plastic freezer bags for SO LONG, and found some large glass containers with snap lids.
Unfortunately I don’t recommend the dish shown in the picture above because the lid domes and it seems dangerous to stack in a freezer, and the lid is actually really terrible (won’t stay snapped).
So. The search continues. Let me know if you have any large volume glass containers that work for freezing!
How to prep this chickpea skillet ahead and freeze
You can meal prep this recipe in a few different ways.
- Assemble all ingredients in a large freezer bag. Squeeze out the air and freeze flat for up to 3 months. Thaw completely and dump into a skillet when you’re ready to cook.
- Cook ahead, cool, and portion out into meal prep containers. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw and heat in the microwave when you’re ready to serve.
Can I swap the chickpeas? Sure, you can swap for any cooked beans: lentils, black beans or white beans would be great choices.
Can I swap the Moroccan seasoning? I bet one of these 7 Spice Blends would work well for this recipe! Greek and Indian sound like they’d work well with these ingredients.
How long do leftovers keep? Leftovers or meal preps keep for up to 4 days. Any longer than that and I’d store them in the freezer instead.
Tips & equipment for this Moroccan chickpea skillet
Vegan Moroccan Chickpea Skillet
- 15 oz chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 19 oz can of diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato (cut in 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Homemade Moroccan Spice Blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- Add all ingredients to a large skillet and stir up. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through, stirring up occasionally.
- If you see the skillet becoming dry, add in 1/2 cup water or stock and cover.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for 1-2 months.
To assemble ahead and freeze
- Combine all ingredients in a good quality gallon-sized freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking in skillet as directed above. Start checking for doneness at 15 minutes.