Vegan Moroccan chickpea skillet is freezer-friendly and perfect for meal prep! With chickpeas, sweet potatoes and spicy Moroccan seasoning.
This Moroccan chickpea skillet makes dinner even easier. It is ridiculously easy to cook, and you can even assemble the ingredients ahead and stash in the fridge or freezer. When it's time for dinner, simply dump it in a pan, simmer for 30 minutes, and call it done! That's really how easy it is to cook.
It's packed full of plant-powered goodness, and is delicious served with a piece of naan bread and a dollop of yogurt.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons you’ll ♡ this Moroccan chickpea skillet
- it's vegan, gluten-free, and packed full of healthy veggies
- you can assemble it and freeze for up to three months before cooking OR you can cook it up and freeze the leftovers
- it's full of delicious spices and amazing flavor!
It's so helpful for a visual of how this skillet recipe comes together...watch the video below to see how easy it is! Find more of my videos on my YouTube channel.
Which ingredients do we need?
- chickpeas- you will need fully cooked chickpeas, so you can either use canned or make your own Instant Pot chickpeas
- sweet potato- cut into ½ inch cubes. I leave the skin on for extra nutrients!
- other veggies- bell pepper + red onion diced
- diced tomatoes- 15 or 19 oz cans including the juice
- moroccan seasoning- I always have a batch of this Homemade Moroccan Spice Blend on hand, but it's easy to make using pantry staples
- salt- to taste
- lemon- I like to squeeze lemon juice over just before serving
Denise's meal prep tips
You can meal prep this recipe in a few different ways.
- Assemble ahead and freeze- Assemble all ingredients in a large freezer bag. Squeeze out the air and freeze flat for up to 3 months. Thaw completely and dump into a skillet when you're ready to cook.
- Cook ahead and reheat- Cook ahead, cool, and portion out into meal prep containers. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw and heat in the microwave when you're ready to serve.
*find all meal prep containers & equipment that I recommend in my shop
Can I swap the chickpeas? Sure, you can swap for any cooked beans: lentils, black beans or white beans would be great choices.
Can I swap the Moroccan seasoning? I bet one of these 7 Spice Blends would work well for this recipe! Greek and Indian sound like they'd work well with these ingredients.
How long do leftovers keep? Leftovers or meal preps keep for up to 4 days. Any longer than that and I'd store them in the freezer instead.
Serve it with
It's great served as is, but here are some ideas:
- a dollop of yogurt or coconut yogurt
- naan bread- toast it first for great texture
- serve on rice (see how to cook perfect, fluffy rice)
Looking for more vegan meal prep recipes?
- Vegan Bolognese
- Vegan Roasted Vegetable Meal Prep Bowls
- Pineapple BBQ Meal Prep Bowls
- 65 Vegan Meal Prep Recipes
- Vegan Sushi Bowl Meal Prep
- 5 Vegan Freezer Meals in 1 Hour
- Vegan Spring Roll Meal Prep
Check my shop for my favorite meal prep containers, and freezer equipment!
Note: This recipe was originally posted in 2019. It has been republished with fresh photos, tips and a new video in 2020.
Vegan Moroccan Chickpea Skillet
- 15 oz chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 19 oz can of diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato (cut in ½ inch cubes)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons Homemade Moroccan Spice Blend
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- Add all ingredients to a large skillet and stir up. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through, stirring up occasionally.
- If you see the skillet becoming dry, add in ½ cup water or stock and cover.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for 1-2 months.
To assemble ahead and freeze
- Combine all ingredients in a good quality gallon-sized freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking in skillet as directed above. Start checking for doneness at 15 minutes.