This Chili Lime Sweet Potato and Chicken Skillet recipe is a healthy one pan dinner recipe with delicious Southwestern flavor. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and a squeeze of lime!
When it comes to easy dinners, one pan meals are where it’s at! Not only do they cook quickly and efficiently, but the clean up is so easy as well.
This reader favorite recipe packs in so much flavor for so little effort, and is perfect for loading up with your favorite toppings!
Reasons you’ll ♡ this Chili Lime Sweet Potato and Chicken Skillet
- it’s gluten-free and dairy-free
- it is a complete one pan meal
- perfect for meal prepping – although I do not recommend freezing!
Wondering how this chili lime sweet potato skillet comes together? This one-minute video will show you how easy it is to prepare! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don’t forget to pin this post and save it for later!
Which ingredients do we need?
- Chicken – boneless, skinless breasts work best
- Veggies – sweet potatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, and red onion, plus lime zest
- Canned – use canned black beans or make your own perfect black beans at home
- Stock – use store-bought chicken stock or make a batch of homemade bone broth
- Spices – chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Toppings – shredded cheese, cilantro leaves, lime wedges, Greek yogurt or sour cream, avocado [See tips for properly cutting an avocado, and not your hand!], and tortilla chips
Meal prep tips
Here are some tips to make prep go smoothly:
- sweet potatoes– make sure you cut them small- 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes
- prep ahead– while you can chop the chicken, bell peppers & onion ahead and measure out the spices, it’s best to chop the sweet potatoes fresh so they don’t harden
- leftovers– you can also use this recipe for meal prep by cooking ahead and reheating through the week.
- storage– store in the fridge for up to 4 days. I do not recommend freezing.
Find my favorite meal prep containers & freezer equipment in my shop!
Can I make this recipe vegetarian / vegan?
Definitely! Omit the chicken and substitute vegetable broth for the chicken stock. You can double the recipe’s black beans or try adding a can of chickpeas to add extra protein, if you like.
For another tasty vegan one pan dish, try this Vegan Moroccan Chickpea Skillet.
Is this recipe paleo?
You can easily make this paleo by omitting black beans.
What do you recommend serving with this?
This recipe is alllll about the toppings! Here are some of our faves:
- sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- shredded cheese
- cilantro leaves
- avocado or guacamole
- salsa or hot sauce
- tortilla chips for scooping
More skillet recipes
- Healthy Chicken Skillet with Cajun Potatoes and Veggies
- 19 Healthy Skillet Dinners
- Easy Balsamic Chicken Skillet with Tomatoes & Tarragon
- One Pan Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apples
- One Pan Tuscan Chicken Pasta
Check out my shop for my favorite slow cooker, meal prep containers, and freezer equipment!
Note: This recipe was originally posted in 2015. It has been republished with fresh photos, tips and a new video in 2020.
Chili Lime Sweet Potato and Chicken Skillet
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 2 large chicken breasts; cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups sweet potato cubes (cut into 1-cm (1/2 inch) cubes; approximately 1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes)
- 2 bell peppers (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 red onion (1 small onion or 1/2 large onion; diced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 can black beans drained (540mL/18 oz)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- tortilla chips
- In a large skillet or pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook until no longer pink in the middle (roughly 8-10 minutes).
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a clean plate.
- Add the sweet potato, bell peppers, red onion, chili powder, cumin, salt, chicken stock and lime zest.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer (covered) for 15-20 minutes, stirring 2-3 times, until sweet potatoes are soft and cooked through. If the pan becomes dry, add more chicken stock.
- Add the black beans and cooked chicken breast, and cook 2 or so minutes until heated through.
- Serve with suggested toppings.
- Leftovers may be stored in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
original photo from the 2015 post!