Chicken, potatoes and veggies are cooked up in a delicious sauce flavored with balsamic vinegar and tarragon in this easy balsamic chicken skillet. Don’t forget a big chunk of bread to sop up every last drop!
There is really no doubt left in my mind now: fall is here. Labour Day week-end was cold!
It is so hard to believe that just two short weeks ago it was so hot and summery…fall in Calgary comes early and winter stays pretty late. To be completely honest, I am getting pretty tired of it,and am really hoping we will be able to relocate when I graduate. I hear the tulips come up in February in Victoria? 😉
When the weather turns cold, I look for something comforting and warm. And this easy balsamic chicken skillet covers both of those requirements quite nicely!
This meal is inspired by the tarragon growing in my garden. I wasn’t really sure how to use it…tarragon isn’t necessarily one of those herbs that goes on everything like parsley or basil. But I liked the sounds of it with cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, and the flavors definitely work together.
Honestly, I’ve been working on this recipe forever! There was a slow cooker version that wasn’t quite right. Then there was a one-pot pasta recipe that was just not quite right. Finally I decided to add potatoes and make it a little saucier (hee hee 😉 ) than my Chili-Lime Chicken and Sweet Potato Skillet. That way you really get those balsamic and tarragon flavors in every bite.
There are still lots of delicious fresh tomatoes kicking around, and I loaded this easy balsamic chicken skillet right up with them. I also added some zucchini because my garden is still over-flowing with them.
Since there is a bit of sauce to this skillet, I would definitely serve it with some bread to sop it all up.
So. This comforting, super easy, healthy and delicious one pan meal will hopefully make that transition into fall just a little easier!
Have a great Tuesday!
More skillet recipes for us
- check out this round-up of 19 Healthy Skillet Dinners for a ton of inspiration
- and this Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet is easy and delicious
- and try this Caprese Chicken Gnocchi Skillet for a ridiculously easy dinner
Easy Balsamic Chicken Skillet with Tomatoes and Tarragon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound red potatoes cut into 1/2 inch pieces 3-4 cups
- 1 pound chicken thighs 6-8 thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup wine white or red are both good
- 2 cups chicken stock divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 2-3 cups mixed veggies such as red pepper, zucchini, green beans
- 1 tablespoons flour more as needed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring every 3 or so minutes.
- Remove potatoes from pan and set aside. Add chicken to pan, and cook until browned on all sides, roughly 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pan, stirring frequently. Cook until garlic is golden (don't burn!) approximately 1 minute.
- Add the wine to the pan and cook for one minute, scraping up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the potatoes back, plus 1½ cups of chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, salt, tarragon and veggies. Cook, stirring occasionally for 10 or so minutes, until potatoes are soft when poked with a fork.
- Whisk together 1 tablespoon flour with the remaining ½ cup chicken stock. Add to the pan and cook until sauce reduces, 3 or so minutes. If not thickened to your liking, add another tablespoon of flour.
- Add the tomatoes, turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 3 or so minutes until tomatoes are soft.
- Serve with a big chunk of bread.