You are going to love this Caprese chicken gnocchi skillet! It is packed FULL of summery flavors, has only 7 ingredients, and cooks up in one pan.
We are huge gnocchi fans in this house! Our favorites include lemon chicken baked gnocchi as well as one pan gnocchi with sundried tomatoes and white beans, but today we’re getting summery with this caprese chicken gnocchi skillet.
Have you ever tried pan-fried gnocchi? I won’t eat my gnocchi any other way!
I originally saw Nigella fry up some packaged gnocchi until it got crispy, and tried it out myself. The texture is beyond words. SO much better than the super soft boiled gnocchi, this way it has a crispy outside and soft inside.
Caprese chicken gnocchi skillet is simple and filled with summery flavors: cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella and chicken breast.
Reasons you’ll ♡ this caprese gnocchi skillet
- it’s easy to prep in just one pan- no boiling the gnocchi first!
- you only need 7 simple ingredients
- it only takes 25 minutes to cook
Watch the video below to see how I prepped this caprese gnocchi skillet. You can find more videos on my YouTube channel!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Gnocchi– shelf-stable recommended, though some readers have had success using fresh gnocchi in my other skillet recipe. You may be able to use cauliflower gnocchi but I have not tried and don’t know the cook times. Drop us a comment if you try it!
- Chicken– chicken breasts have been used, but boneless chicken thighs could also be used. Vegetarian? Swap for chickpeas or just leave out the chicken.
- Tomatoes– make sure to find the freshest cherry tomatoes (or a larger variety, chopped up) that you can find
- Basil– adds so much fresh flavor to this recipe; dried basil will not give the same flavor but can be swapped in a pinch
- Mozzarella– I’ve used a pizza mozzarella which melts and gets nice and gooey in this recipe. Feel free to swap with fresh mozzarella and add additional salt to taste.
How to make this recipe
This caprese chicken gnocchi skillet has three simple steps to get it cooked and on your table.
Gnocchi- no need to boil!
The trick to making this Caprese gnocchi skillet a one-pan meal? The gnocchi is sauteed in olive oil rather than boiled, giving it a deliciously crispy outside and a pillowy soft inside. This technique works best using shelf-stable gnocchi, though I have had readers successfully do this with fresh gnocchi.
Start by sauteeing the gnocchi in some olive oil in a frying pan. Season well with salt and pepper, and cook for 15 or so minutes, until gnocchi is lightly golden.
After the gnocchi is golden, transfer to a plate, and start sauteeing the chicken. You may need to add a bit more oil to the pan to prevent the chicken from sticking. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F or is no longer pink in the middle.
Finishing it off
Once the chicken is cooked through, add the gnocchi back to the pan along with the cherry tomatoes, basil and shredded cheese. Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are softened and the cheese is melted. If you have a large lid, you could put that over the skillet to help it along.
This recipe is easy to play around with to get your perfect meal:
- Chicken– swap for sausage or chickpeas
- Gnocchi– get creative and use a different type of shelf-stable gnocchi- like butternut squash gnocchi! I have had a chance to try this with cauliflower gnocchi, but suspect it would work great as well. Leave a comment if you’ve tried this!
- Veggies– add in your favorite summer veggie! Zucchini, eggplant and bell pepper would work great. Sautee them for longer to soften.
Storage + make-ahead tips
This recipe is best served fresh as the gnocchi has a nice crispy texture, and the basil is fresh and bright green. You can also portion out leftovers and reheat for another meal:
- Fridge- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Freezer- I do not recommend freezing
- Reheat- a) heat in the microwave until steaming hot (easiest method)
- b) sautee in a pan (to get a better texture on the gnocchi and help some of the moisture evaporate- note that it won’t get 100% crispy again)
More Easy Skillet Dinner Recipes
- Low Carb Lasagna Skillet
- Vegan Moroccan Chickpea Skillet
- Chili Lime Sweet Potato and Chicken Skillet
- Enchilada Sweet Potato Noodles Skillet
- 45 Healthy Skillet Recipes
Caprese Chicken Gnocchi Skillet
- 500 gram gnocchi shelf stable; see note 1
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts chopped into bite-sized peices
- salt & pepper generous
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the gnocchi and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes, until gnocchi is golden brown and slightly crispy. You may need to add additional olive oil if the pan gets too dry (it helps the gnocchi get crispy).
- Remove the gnocchi from the pan and set aside.
- If needed, add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5-7 minutes, until cooked through.
- Return the gnocchi to the pan along with the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella.
- Stir 1-2 minutes, until cheese is melted through. Serve immediately.