Loaded with turkey sausage, sweet potatoes and grilled vegetables, these sweet potato lunch bowls are drizzled with a tahini dressing for a light but tasty lunch option.
You know we love our meal prep lunches around here (check out these 46 more easy lunch meal prep ideas). These turkey sausage & sweet potato lunch bowls are a light and healthy option that is perfect for summer.
With directions to cook in the oven or on the barbecue, these bowls are flexible, and loaded with sweet potatoes, turkey sausage and vegetables, and are drizzled with my favorite maple tahini dressing!
Reasons you’ll ♡ these sweet potato lunch bowls
- easily cooks on the grill or in the oven
- it is a super simple and flexible meal
- it is naturally gluten-free!
Grill or Bake It
The cooking method is quite flexible for this recipe: throw everything onto sheet pans and bake it up in the oven or cook it on the grill. If you do cook it on the grill, you will want a vegetable grilling basket to ensure that your vegetables don’t fall down into the grill
Ingredients we’ll need
- Italian sausage– use your favorite. We love spicy Italian sausage, but you could use mild. Swap for pork, beef, or chicken sausage if you’d like.
- Sweet potato– use around 4-5 cups of 1-inch cubes; this works out to around 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- Vegetables– I’ve used zucchini and bell peppers, but feel free to swap for your favorite roasting or grilling vegetables.
- Tahini sauce– before serving, drizzle the bowls with this delicious Maple Tahini Sauce
This is such a flexible recipe that you can play around with! Here are some swaps you could make:
- Sausage– swap the turkey sausage for beef or pork
- Sweet potato– swap for regular potatoes (see how to make unbelievably crispy grilled potatoes, or use quinoa)
- Veggies– feel free to swap out the veggies for what you have in the fridge. I recommend roasting veggies with similar cook times together: carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli are other great options to cook together, as are green beans, asparagus and mushrooms
- Tahini sauce– while delicious on this recipe, you could swap it out for the BBQ vinaigrette in this recipe, a balsamic reduction, or this green goddess dressing.
Storage + make-ahead tips
This recipe works great for meal prep! Here are some tips:
- Keep sauce or dressing separate until just before serving, I recommend these containers
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days
- I do not recommend freezing
- Reheat in the microwave until steaming hot, then drizzle with sauce and enjoy!
Find my favorite meal prep containers here
More meal prep lunch recipes
- Thai Chicken Lunch Bowls
- Honey Sesame Chicken Lunch Bowls
- Cauliflower Cashew Lunch Bowls
- Buddha Bowl Recipe
- Turkey Taco Meal Prep Bowls
Turkey Sausage and Sweet Potato Lunch Bowls
- 4-5 cups sweet potato cubes 1 inch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper generous
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage 500 g
- 2 bell peppers cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1-2 zucchini sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
Maple Tahini Dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons water or more to thin out
- 1.5 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat barbecue to medium-high heat (425°F).
- Sweet Potatoes Depending on how much space you have on your grill, you may want to make these in the oven. Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Using a vegetable grilling basket or plate, cook the sweet potatoes, stirring often, for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Sausage: Pierce with a knife and grill for 10-15 minutes, turning every 2-3 minutes, until cooked through.
- Mixed veggies: Toss veggies with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Grill on a vegetable grilling basket or plate, stirring every 2-3 minutes, until cooked through (10 or so minutes).
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Arrange sweet potato cubes on the baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Give them a stir and return to the oven for another 10 or so minutes, until they are easily pierced with a fork.
- Add the vegetables and sausages to a separate sheet pan, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Divide the sweet potatoes, sausages and vegetables evenly between four meal prep containers.
- Shake together all ingredients tahini dressing ingredients. Add additional water until thinned to your desired consistency.
- Portion out tahini dressing into condiment containers, or you may drizzle over the bowls immediately.
- Meal prep bowls may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Heat in the microwave until steaming hot, then drizzle with the tahini sauce.
- I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
- Sausage– swap the turkey sausage for beef, pork, chicken or plant-based sausage
- Sweet potato– swap for regular potatoes, or whole roasted sweet potatoes
- Veggies– carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, asparagus or mushrooms would all be great in this recipe (adjust cook times as needed)
- Tahini sauce– Swap out for BBQ sauce, balsamic reduction or green goddess dressing