While pomegranates are a great ingredient to add to your salads (like this Fennel & Pomegranate Quinoa Salad and this Pear, Gouda & Hazelnut Spinach Salad), they are also great on a savory dinner recipe!
This winter one pan chicken and veggies is loaded with flavor with a tangy balsamic gravy, sweet pomegranate seeds and salty feta cheese.
It’s also loaded with veggies, cooks in one pan, and is ready in 30 minutes. Can you say dinner superhero?!
Reasons you’ll ♡ this winter one pan chicken and veggies
- it cooks in one pan in under 30 minutes
- it is full of healthy veggies and lean protein
- it is one seriously delicious meal with tangy, sweet and savory flavors
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
What do we need for one pan chicken and potatoes?
- Chicken– you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Potatoes– I recommend baby potatoes, cut into quarters. You can also sub butternut squash cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Vegetables– asparagus and zucchini are pictured, but you could swap for any quick-cooking vegetable like green beans or bell peppers.
- Balsamic vinegar– I did not get fancy here and just used grocery aisle balsamic BUT I bet if you went for a fancier one that it would pay off in flavor
- Pomegranate seeds– see How to Deseed a Pomegranate for my super fast method!
- Feta cheese– to give a briny, salty hit of flavor
- Chicken stock– or use homemade bone broth like I did!
First veggies, then chicken
First, cook your potatoes, since they take the longest. Add to the pan with olive oil, and put the lid down so the potatoes steam through. This takes around 15 minutes.
Once the potatoes are fork tender, we add in our quick-cooking vegetables. Stir up, put the lid back on, and cook for 5 minutes.
Transfer the veggies to a bowl and toss with arrowroot starch (corn starch and all purpose flour also work). This will help our gravy thicken later.
After the veggies are cooked through, we start cooking our chicken. Add olive oil and chicken to the pan. Cook for 7-10 minutes, until completely cooked through.
The finishing touches
Once the one pan chicken and veggies are cooked through, it’s time to build that flay-vah! Add the balsamic vinegar and chicken stock to the pan, then return the veggies.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the gravy has thickened.
Sprinkle with feta and pomegranates, and enjoy!
Can I swap the chicken breast in this recipe for something else?
Sure! Chicken thighs would also work great, or go vegetarian with a can of chickpeas or white beans (drained & rinsed).
Does this balsamic one pan chicken and potatoes meal work for meal prep?
Yes, you can meal prep it in a few ways.
- pre-chop veggies & chicken– store in a large container for 2-3 days (double check the expiry dates on your chicken to ensure it won’t expire before you cook it). Potatoes may not be pre-chopped as they tend to brown.
- I recommend this 8 cup glass meal prep container to store chicken & veggies
- pre-cook– alternatively you can cook this meal through and store in a meal prep container for up to 4 days. Pomegranate seeds may get mushy but the flavor is still great.
- I recommend these 2 cup meal prep containers to store cooked meals
- this meal does not freeze/thaw well
Tips & equipment for perfect one pan chicken and potatoes
- use a large skillet, 12 inches at least. Nonstick is fine, cast iron enamel works great as well.
- check out my post on How to Open a Pomegranate for tips and a video!
- looking for more one pan meals? Check out this 30 Minute Tuscan Chicken Skillet, this easy peasy Caprese Chicken Gnocchi Skillet or this round-up with 45 Healthy Skillet Dinners
Balsamic One Pan Chicken and Veggies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 3 cups baby potatoes (quartered)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus (trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/2 zucchini (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (corn starch or all purpose flour may be used)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (roughly 2 large chicken breasts; cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until fork tender (roughly 15 minutes).
- Add the asparagus and zucchini to the pan, give it a stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Transfer the potatoes, asparagus and zucchini to a large bowl and sprinkle with arrowroot starch. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and cook for 7-10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Return the veggies to the pan along with the chicken stock, balsamic vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes, until sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Sprinkle with pomegranates and feta and serve immediately.
- After cooking, leftovers may be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days, though it is best eaten within 2-3 days.