Isn’t it funny how the moment that the calendar changes to November 1, everything changes? I was in Starbucks this morning and the pumpkin spice latte has been magically changed out for their whole Christmas line of coffees. Wah!!
While I’m a bit grumpy about the sudden appearance of Christmas (TOO SOON), one thing I’m happy for is the appearance of pomegranates in the grocery store. They are definitely one of my favorite perks of November.
I’ve always put pomegranates in my salads (you can check out this Fennel & Pomegranate Quinoa Salad and this Pear, Gouda & Hazelnut Spinach Salad for evidence). But until now, I’ve never really tried incorporating them into a savory dinner recipe.
Today’s healthy balsamic chicken skillet with pomegranates and feta is not only delicious, but also helps to fill half your plate with veggies (and fruits!)
Today’s post is sponsored by my friends over at Half Your Plate, whose mission is to help us fill half our plates with fruit and veggies.
The next time you serve yourself a meal, take a look at it. Is half your plate/bowl/cup/tupperware filled with fruit and veggies? If yes, you are doing yourself a HUGE favor. Eating fresh fruits and veggies fills you full of healthy nutrients to fuel you and help fight off diseases.
Check out the Half Your Plate website for recipes and tips to help you fill half your plate with fruits and veggies!
And really, it doesn’t have to be a challenge to fill up on fruits and veggies, and this healthy balsamic chicken skillet is proof.
I went off of this Easy Balsamic Chicken Skillet with Tomatoes & Tarragon recipe as a guide and swapped out the summery herbs and tomatoes for some green asparagus and zucchini, pomegranates and feta cheese. I also made a version with butternut squash which was teeeerific. I’ve included instructions for this option in the recipe card.
All together, this recipe only dirties ONE pot, and is ready in 30 minutes. It is hands down your perfect week night dinner recipe.
So, friends, tell me: what is your favorite thing about November? Is it pomegranates?
Disclosure: thank you to Half Your Plate for sponsoring this post, and for encouraging us to eat right! As always, all opinions are my own.
More skillet chicken dinners for us!
- check out this round up of 19 Healthy Skillet Dinners for a TON of inspiration
- or go to Italy with this 30 Minute Tuscan Chicken Skillet
- or try this easy peasy Caprese Chicken Gnocchi Skillet
- check out my post on How to Open a Pomegranate for tips and a video!
Healthy Balsamic Chicken Skillet with Pomegranates and Feta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups baby potatoes sliced into 1/2 inch cubes (small- cut each baby potato into 4-8 chunks)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of asparagus trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 a zucchini cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the asparagus and zucchini to the pan, give it a stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Transfer the potatoes, asparagus and zucchini to a large bowl and sprinkle with flour. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the pan (with additional oil if necessary), and cook for 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
- Return the veggies to the pan along with the chicken stock and balsamic vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes, until sauce simmers and thickens slightly.
- Sprinkle with pomegranates and feta and serve immediately.