A delicious spinach pear salad topped with Gouda cheese, toasted hazelnuts and pomegranate seeds, all tossed in a tangy vinaigrette. Perfect for your holiday table!
Fruit in salad- yay or nay? I am a big, resounding YAY on this one! Exhibit A: This Autumn Apple Farro Salad, and Exhibit B: this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad. Exhibit C would clearly have to be this delicious (and pretty) Spinach Pear Salad!
When it comes to salads, I'm unapologetically opinionated. It must have something sweet, something savory, something crunchy and something creamy.
This spinach pear salad has all of the above and gets bonus points for the pretty factor. The red + green means it would be perfect to grace your holiday table!
With the toasted hazelnuts and gouda, it feels special, but it can be our secret that it's incredibly easy to prepare 😉
Reasons you'll ♡ this spinach pear salad
- it's simple to prepare but is perfect for a special occasion
- it tastes amazing!!
- it looks beautiful and would be great for a holiday meal
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Which ingredients do we need?
- spinach- or any leafy green. Arugula would be a great alternative!
- pomegranate seeds- which you can de-seed in advance.
- gouda- I went for a regular gouda, but you could be adventurous and try different flavors! If you can't find gouda, goat cheese or feta cheese would be a delicious alternative.
- pear- a used a Bartlett pear for this recipe but really any pear will be great in this pear salad including Bosc or Anjou.
- hazelnuts- be sure to take the extra time to toast them...this makes ALL the difference in this salad! If you are short on hazelnuts, almonds or walnuts would be a great alternative.
- white wine vinaigrette- we are using my favorite white wine vinaigrette in this recipe. It is tangy but neutral and lets all the other flavors shine.
Tips for the BEST salad
- toast hazelnuts- I highly recommend doing this as it brings out so much nutty flavor. This can be done a week or more ahead of time!
- don't cut pear ahead- while the majority of the ingredients may be prepped ahead, pear is prone to browning and is best sliced just before serving
- pomegranate- if you are unsure of how to deseed a pomegranate, check out my tutorial (+ video), which makes it seriously SO EASY
- prep ahead- you may toast the hazelnuts, shake up the vinaigrette, cut the gouda and de-seed the pomegranate up to 4 days before serving. Do not add vinaigrette until right before you serve
Find my favorite kitchen equipment in my shop!
Does this salad work for meal prep?
Unfortunately this salad is not great for meal prep thanks to the pears. If you left off the pears, it *might* work layered in a mason jar keeping leafy greens away from the dressing, but I have not tested.
Can I swap an ingredient in this recipe?
Yes, this is an extremely flexible recipe! Check the 'ingredients' section above for swap suggestions.
What to serve with spinach pear salad?
This is a great holiday meal and goes well with a number of sides and entrees. Here are some suggestions:
- Salmon- two of my faves are this Balsamic Salmon Marinade or this Herb Crusted Broiled Salmon
- Chicken- these Perfect Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs are perfect for a fancier dinner.
- Potatoes- try these fun Herb & Garlic Potato Stacks, or this potato alternative: Fluffy Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower
- Roasted Veggies- these Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts and this Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash would both be great.
This recipe was originally published in 2014. It has been updated with fresh photos, tips and a video in 2019! Same delicious recipe.
Spinach Pear Salad with Gouda & Hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup hazelnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 5 oz baby spinach (140g)
- 1 pear (cubed)
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup Gouda cheese (cubed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon dijon
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a pan, toast hazelnuts over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden brown. This will take around 10 minutes.
- Shake together all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Combine all salad ingredients and toss in dressing. Serve immediately.