A healthy chicken skillet recipe that contains cajun-spiced potatoes and vegetables. Uses only one pot and is ready in under 30 minutes!
Well, hi there! Look at that. It’s Thursday.
Isn’t it funny how as soon as Wednesday is over, everything just seems a little bit easier? Or is that just me?
The weekend/light at the end of the tunnel is near. Spring is almost springing. And I’m dreaming of sleeping in (although that never really seems to happen on the weekend), going to the park, and sitting on the deck in the sun.
These are my lofty weekend goals. #ambitions
If you’re feeling the same type of ambitions as I am these days, you probably don’t want to be slaving over dinner. Or slaving over the dishes afterwards.
So I have a wonderful solution for you! This healthy chicken skillet recipe is inspired by the Chili-Lime Chicken & Sweet Potato Skillet, which was my #1 most popular post published in 2015.
The premise is totally the same: cook your chicken, then your potatoes nearly through. Add a bunch of veggies, some diced tomatoes and just enough cajun seasoning to give it a kick.
We ate this four times. Seriously, if we’re going to eat anything FOUR times around here, you’d better believe it’s good!
I used chicken thighs for this recipe because they are cheap, however you could easily sub chicken breasts in here.
You could make this a ‘clean out the fridge’ kind of meal and use a variety of different veggies: zucchini, broccoli, you name it. If they can cook through in the same-ish time as a bell pepper, go for it!
This healthy chicken skillet all comes together in just 30 minutes (if you prep your veggies while the chicken cooks).
One pan AND 30 minutes. And healthy. And makes a great lunch the next day.
Have a GREAT end of the week, guys! See you on Monday! I have another 3-in-1 slow cooker series coming your way next week!
How about some more chicken skillet inspiration?
- this round-up of 19 Healthy Skillet Dinners has a TON of great ideas
- or how about this easy Balsamic Chicken Skillet with Tomatoes & Tarragon?
- or you could go Italian with this SUPER simple Caprese Chicken Gnocchi Skillet
One Pan Cajun Chicken & Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups baby yellow potatoes cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 1 cup snap peas
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes canned, include juices
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- parmesan cheese
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 or so minutes, until lightly browned (don't worry about cooking through). Remove from pan.
- Add the potatoes to the pan (adding additional oil if you need).
- Cook, stirring every 2 or so minutes for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the red onion, snap peas, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, cajun seasoning and salt.
- Cover and cook, stirring every 2 minutes, for 10 more minutes. Remove lid and cook for an additional 5 minutes (keep stirring every couple of minutes).
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Products used in this recipe:
Other cajun-inspired dinner recipes:
- Cajun-Rubbed Chicken Tenders with Mango Avocado Salsa from Whole & Heavenly Oven
- Paleo Blackened Cajun Mahi-Mahi from Tastes Lovely
- 30 Minute Kickin’ Cajun Chicken & Rice from Half Baked Harvest
- Lobster Etouffee from Foodie Crush