Freezer-friendly and healthy breakfast burritos get a boost of nutrition from lentils and zucchini! Make a big batch ahead of time, then thaw them as needed for breakfast.
Are you a morning person? Anyone who has met me will tell you I. Am. Not.
I would love to jump out of bed and get things done right away. Sadly, no matter how much sleep I get the night before, I cannot carry on a conversation before coffee. Just can’t.
So this recipe is dedicated to all of the people like me: the morning zombies. We can’t be depended on to cook up a batch of French toast for the family, but we might just be able to pull off thawing out some breakfast burritos.
I decided to put lentils in these healthy breakfast burritos to add an extra boost of protein, and you know what? These burritos are seriously filling! But in an “I feel very satisfied” kind of way, not an “I have to unbutton the top of my pants” kind of way. <–not that I ever have to do that…I’m too classy 😉
In addition to the lentils I really wanted to add some veggies, because I like to sneak veggies into all of my recipes (have you noticed?). So I added some onion, red pepper and zucchini into these healthy breakfast burritos.
Let me count the reasons I love these healthy breakfast burritos:
- Make ahead. Freezer-friendly. Little to no effort in the morning.
- They are FILLING! I could only eat half of one, and it kept me going right on through till lunch! Love that!
- They taste great! Cheese, eggs, lentils, some veggies. All wrapped up in a tortilla. So good.
- They get nice and crispy. OK, so I used my George Foreman grill, which is absolutely perfect for heating these up in the morning. You’re going to want to flatten them slightly so that they warm right through. You can also use a fry-pan but it takes longer. Or, you could just heat them in the microwave on a paper towel. Any which way, they are not soggy.
Have I sold you on these yet? Have a wonderful Thursday 🙂
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped into small pieces (1/2 small onion)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 bell pepper chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup canned lentils drained and rinsed (I used brown)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 12 " tortillas
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 or so minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the zucchini and bell pepper to the pan, and cook for 5 or so more minutes, until soft and cooked through.
- While veggies are cooking, beat the eggs with the salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the eggs and the lentils to the pan and cook for 3-4 more minutes, until eggs are cooked through.
Spread out ½ cup of the *cooled* egg/veggie filling onto a 12-inch flour tortilla. Sprinkle with ⅓ cup of cheese.
- Roll up as shown in photos and wrap with plastic wrap until you're ready to serve!
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then place in a large ziplock bag.
- If you are storing for longer than 1-2 weeks, you may wish to wrap with aluminum foil as well.
You can either thaw in the fridge overnight, or microwave on a paper towel for 30 seconds/side.
- I recommend crisping them up on a George Foreman Grill or in a frying pan.
Products used in this recipe:
More make-ahead breakfast ideas: